PDA

View Full Version : I Hate When This Happens -or If I Knew Math Was Important I Would've Paid Attention

Mike Allen1010
07-27-2013, 10:42 PM
In anticipation of moving, I was looking for a project that I could do with the available lumber I had on hand so I didn't have to move it. A Pennsylvania Spice Box fit the bill. I just barely had enough wood on hand to complete the project, but only if I was careful.

In my professional life the environment is rigid and empirical, as a consequence, in the shop I am less structured than I should be.

I sort of go with a rough plan, with basic dimensions and then cut each piece to match the next without much measuring (one of the things I like about handtools -- if a part is too big -- no problem to cut/plane off the needed material to make it fit exactly) – really who wants to measure when you're playing air guitar to the Rolling Stones "Exile on Main Street”!

Regrettably, more than occasionally, the philosophy bites me right in the butt! For example -- I glued up some book matched burl veneer for the drawer fronts in the spice cabinet. After some obviously flawed calculations, I thought I had just enough for all the drawer fronts. As you can see - I came up ½”short. I didn't have enough material for the top drawer front -- I hate when that happens!

So once again my Dad’s rule of “Always allow 25% extra to cover your mistakes” was proven true. This goes right up there with "Measure twice cut once" -- yes I know it's a cliché but nonetheless true -- the older I get, the smarter he was!

BTW- even though I’m not so good with schedules, I can always tell when our boys are home from school for summer vacation when there’s a case of Coors in cans in the refrigerator!

All the best, Mike

Tony Wilkins
07-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Sorry to see that Mike. Hopefully you can come up with a brilliant work around to make it even better than it would have been. Any consolation it does look very nice up to this point

Tony Shea
07-27-2013, 11:35 PM
Somehow incorporate another secret compartment is my thought. Really not sure how tho. Good luck and b sure to post what you come up with.

Steve Voigt
07-27-2013, 11:39 PM
The dark pieces that divide the drawer fronts. Can you put one below the bottom drawer, and one above the top drawer, to fill the gaps?

Adam Cruea
07-27-2013, 11:46 PM
I hear you. I am like you; I like to go with the flow while woodworking. I'll start with rough dimensions, but after that, I kind of fit by hand. Working IT during the day where there's only one way to do something and it has to be highly logical, sometimes it's nice to throw caution to the wind.

However, I learned very quickly to always leave extra because when you think you're just about perfectly done, you'll screw up. Either the board has a blowout because "Country Boy Can Survive" is playing and you're singing along and not paying attention, or in your headbanging frenzy during Pantera's "Becoming", you flip the piece off the bench and ding it up on the floor.

Anyways. . .you might put a header there. Maybe something engraved or carved with the family name and the date of creation. Or if it's for your wife, put a little message to her on it there so she can see it. I have a tendency to put "Shmily!" (See How Much I Love You) on anything I make for my wife *somewhere*.

Mel Fulks
07-27-2013, 11:56 PM
How about a thin writing slide or cutting down the top drawer and adding a frize drawer with dark vertical grain veneer,no pulls on it? Ive seen small chests done that way ,you open the second drawer to access opening the top one. Lovely even as it is.

John Coloccia
07-28-2013, 12:14 AM
Did you forget to take saw kerf into account?

Jim Matthews
07-28-2013, 7:21 AM
I'm thinking of two down and dirty solutions, here.

If the carcass is not dovetailed, shorten the sides (I don't think it will reduce the proportion enough to be seen).
Build out the veneer with a false panel backing in the top drawer, and apply a fan/chain/floral motif either intarsia, painted or carved across the span.

It's not a disaster - it's an opportunity to cope with disaster.

I wonder if there are any veneer suppliers that could bail you out, if you send the last piece as a sample to match?

Jack Curtis
07-28-2013, 7:25 AM
I hear you. I am like you; I like to go with the flow while woodworking. I'll start with rough dimensions, but after that, I kind of fit by hand. Working IT during the day where there's only one way to do something and it has to be highly logical, sometimes it's nice to throw caution to the wind....

I spent 34 years developing software, and don't remember a problem that had only one solution. Now usually there was only one result that would work, but many good ways of getting there.

Adam Cruea
07-28-2013, 12:35 PM
I spent 34 years developing software, and don't remember a problem that had only one solution. Now usually there was only one result that would work, but many good ways of getting there.

I'll give you that in software dev, you can go about something multiple ways, eg a "for" loop vs "while" loop vs "do while" vs. . .well. . .you get the idea.

I work with network equipment such as routers, switches, and firewalls. There's only one way to route traffic from Point A in a network to Point B, and that's chosen by a routing algorithm that finds the fastest, most reliable route if it isn't statically configured. There's only one way to switch traffic; via MAC address. There's only one way to allow something through a firewall; allow the protocol, port, and if the firewall is advanced enough, the application.

george wilson
07-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Can't you just get more veneer and make the top drawer taller? It's an aggravation,but the piece is very nice and well worth going back and having a re do.

Jack Curtis
07-28-2013, 2:10 PM
I'll give you that in software dev, you can go about something multiple ways, eg a "for" loop vs "while" loop vs "do while" vs. . .well. . .you get the idea.

I work with network equipment such as routers, switches, and firewalls. There's only one way to route traffic from Point A in a network to Point B, and that's chosen by a routing algorithm that finds the fastest, most reliable route if it isn't statically configured. There's only one way to switch traffic; via MAC address. There's only one way to allow something through a firewall; allow the protocol, port, and if the firewall is advanced enough, the application.

Hmmm, I was talking about entirely different approaches, not just a while vs for loop, some much more elegant than others; but I get your point. I suppose if I were working networking I'd automate that algorithm, let if do the work for me, until it didn't. :) But of course, that's why I preferred working in application development rather than networking. Even given patterns, development is impossible to automate.

Anyhow, this strangely applies to the problem at hand. If there are several ways to address this shortness problem, as I think there are, it will be real interesting to see how Mike resolves it. I've never had this happen because if I'm going to end up short of wood, I know it at the beginning and address it by resizing, redesign, and/or another purchase. I've even got a plastic crate full of cutoffs to prove it. Now if only I could force myself to stop hoarding such useless stuff.

Mike Allen1010
07-28-2013, 4:18 PM
Thanks For the suggestions guys!

Originally, I was planning to do is George suggested and just try and find another piece of veneer that matches as closely as possible to make a new top drawer fronts that is the correct width. However based on suggestions from Jim, Jack, Tony and others, I think I may try and carve some sort of line and ribbon filler strip in walnut that I can glue in above The drawer..

If that doesn't work (highly likely given my questionable carving skills), I can always go back to plan A.

Thanks very much to all for the advice -- it's very helpful!

All the best, Mike

Chris Griggs
07-28-2013, 4:52 PM
I'm really glad you have some good solutions Mike. I was so frustrated on your behalf by that mistake that I couldn't even comment. That's the kinda crap that makes me want to smash my workpieces to bits and start from scratch. So relieved you'll be able to work it out.

jim goddard
07-29-2013, 6:41 AM
'In my professional life the environment is rigid and empirical,...'

So, youre telling me things dont go wrong even then? I understand that it helps to be rigorous but when all else fails deem it a feature and continue w/ life. Look at it as an opportunity to be creative. :)

Bob Glenn
07-29-2013, 10:46 AM
The problem MAY be based in the contents of that Coors can next to the box! Just kidding......time to get creative.