PDA

View Full Version : Clifton Handplane knob thread pitch

Troy Staten
07-27-2013, 6:05 PM
Hey everybody does anyone know the tread pitch on the stud for the front knob on a Clifton #7 plane. It does not appear to be 1/4-20,1/4-24,1/4-28 or M6-1.0. I am hoping it is not some obscure British size as I would like a longer stud to put a taller knob on the plane.

thanks

Jim Koepke
07-27-2013, 7:52 PM
Howdy Troy,

Welcome to the posting side of the Creek. Your location isn't shown in your profile. If you are anywhere near me, send me a PM and we can get together with my thread gauge. It is only good for American threads, but from there we could determine if it they are American or Metric. You may live close to another member who has a thread gauge.

Most likely the stud size is a #12 if it is like most of the American makers of planes. That is an odd size to find in most hardware stores.

40 years ago European threads may not have been as standard as they are today. My experience comes from working on bicycles. I recall some threads being in tpi on metric stock.

jtk

Troy Staten
07-27-2013, 8:02 PM
Howdy Troy,

Welcome to the posting side of the Creek. Your location isn't shown in your profile. If you are anywhere near me, send me a PM and we can get together with my thread gauge. It is only good for American threads, but from there we could determine if it they are American or Metric. You may live close to another member who has a thread gauge.

Most likely the stud size is a #12 if it is like most of the American makers of planes. That is an odd size to find in most hardware stores.

40 years ago European threads may not have been as standard as they are today. My experience comes from working on bicycles. I recall some threads being in tpi on metric stock.

jtk
I am in Alameda CA, The plane is of recent manufacture so I did send an e-mail to Clifton so maybe they will tell me. I compared the threads to both Stanley and LN planes and it is different, about the same size as LN but finer thread and bigger diameter than the old Stanley thread. I have metric tread pitch gauge but it is of very low quality so not much use.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Could try TFWW as well; they carry the planes, they may know.

Troy Staten
07-28-2013, 9:36 PM
Could try TFWW as well; they carry the planes, they may know.

I will contact TFWW as well, I picked up both a metric and standard tread pitch gauge and the closest size seems to me 1.0 Metric but I have a feeling it is a British Fine thread size. Oh well what seems to start as a simple project turns complicated.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Troy - I've one of these planes as well, and have been contemplating changing out the knobs - if you find a definite answer for this, please post back!

I wonder if replacement studs are available - you could tap get the longer stud from the rear handle, cut it to length and thread the end the brass nut goes on to something more readily available and make your own brass button for that end.

Troy Staten
07-29-2013, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=Joshua Pierce;2137276]Troy - I've one of these planes as well, and have been contemplating changing out the knobs - if you find a definite answer for this, please post back!

I wonder if replacement studs are available - you could tap get the longer stud from the rear handle, cut it to length and thread the end the brass nut goes on to something more readily available and make your own brass button for that end.[/QUO

Will do, hopefully I won't have to take drastic action such as re-taping the front stud. The rear stud is ok so I don't need to mess with that. I think the Clifton 4.5 has a taller knob so If I can get a stud for that plane it might solve the problem.

Troy Staten
07-30-2013, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=Joshua Pierce;2137276]Troy - I've one of these planes as well, and have been contemplating changing out the knobs - if you find a definite answer for this, please post back!

I wonder if replacement studs are available - you could tap get the longer stud from the rear handle, cut it to length and thread the end the brass nut goes on to something more readily available and make your own brass button for that end.[/QUO

Will do, hopefully I won't have to take drastic action such as re-taping the front stud. The rear stud is ok so I don't need to mess with that. I think the Clifton 4.5 has a taller knob so If I can get a stud for that plane it might solve the problem.

Just found out from Clico (maker) that the thread is 1/4 British fine thread which has a thread pitch of 26 threads per inch. They said they would send me another one so I asked them to send me the one from the 4.5 which has a taller knob.

Jim Koepke
07-30-2013, 12:12 PM
the closest size seems to me 1.0 Metric but I have a feeling it is a British Fine thread size.

the thread is 1/4 British fine thread which has a thread pitch of 26 threads per inch.

No wonder it was close to the 1.0 metric, that is only 0.6 mm/inch different. If my understanding is correct 1.0 metric would be 25.4 tpi.

I will have to look at my gauge, not sure if it has a 26 tpi blade. It has a 27 and 28, but those are both American thread pitches.

jtk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-30-2013, 8:36 PM
Those old British fine threads and whitworth threads and stuff sometimes show up in old bicycles and motorcycles. I remember my friend at the bike shop used to have a collection of crazy taps and dies.

Actually, just looking, eBay has a fair amount of BSF taps and dies, as well.

Troy Staten
07-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Those old British fine threads and whitworth threads and stuff sometimes show up in old bicycles and motorcycles. I remember my friend at the bike shop used to have a collection of crazy taps and dies.

Actually, just looking, eBay has a fair amount of BSF taps and dies, as well.

Thought it was pretty funny that a modern tool maker that is owned by an aero space company is using non-metric thread parts. Oh well, decent plane with a nice blade and now that I have changed out the Tote and soon the knob a nice tool to use.

george wilson
07-31-2013, 9:01 AM
Strange that Clifton would be using a fine thread if it threads into cast iron. Fine threads were invented for steel. COARSE threads were invented for threading into cast iron as they are stronger in cast iron.Cast iron tends to crumble easily with fine threads.

Troy Staten
09-11-2013, 9:04 PM
Found a great source for British threaded products hear in the U.S it is www.britishfasteners.com really nice source for threaded screws, studs and nuts with British thread sizes. British tools and Dies as well. Very nice people and they had the correct size stud for my Clifton plane.