PDA

View Full Version : First Salad Bowl Set - Solid or laminated?

John Padgett
07-27-2013, 4:33 PM
Hello. I want to turn a salad bowl set for my wife. One large and some small ones. I need advice on the pros and cons of solid vs laminated bowls. Thanks. John.

John Keeton
07-27-2013, 4:52 PM
John, do you intend to do the laminating? That would be the only way to control the grain alignment, glue application, etc. Practically speaking, I would not do laminated for aesthetic reasons, as well as possible de-lamination. That isn't to say that all laminated bowls are unattractive, but I would think most folks would prefer to see a solid wood bowl vs. a laminated bowl. It just says "handmade quality" a bit more, IMO.

John Padgett
07-27-2013, 6:16 PM
Yeah, my Mother In Law has some old ones and even the small ones are laminated and coming apart. I didn't want to laminate them but was worried about cracking on the large bowl.

Pat Scott
07-28-2013, 8:22 AM
A laminated utility bowl will not last. It might look nice for a while, but no matter how tight your glue joints are or what kind of glue you use, eventually the joints will fail. A utility bowl that is used with food needs to be washed after each use, and glue and water don't mix. Definitely use solid wood. Solid bowls will not crack and will last for a lifetime if properly made and cared for.

Bernie Weishapl
07-28-2013, 11:02 AM
I agree to go with solid. Even using Titebond III I have had a couple start to split. I usually use cherry, maple or walnut for my salad bowls.

Michelle Rich
07-28-2013, 5:05 PM
vinegar eats through glue..having said that I have seen laminated bowls hold up with epoxy.

Larry Cutlip
07-30-2013, 1:38 PM
Are you saying that segmented bowls will come apart? They are laminated segments.

Thanks Larry

John Keeton
07-30-2013, 2:51 PM
Larry, I think the issues here may relate more to the use of the bowl as a salad bowl and being exposed to water, vinegar, and other situations in which a utility bowl might be used. Most segmented work is artistic and not utilitarian, perhaps with the exception of cutting boards and the like. I would think those generally are reasonably stable simply because of the grain alignment and construction techniques used.

Larry Cutlip
07-31-2013, 1:14 PM
Thanks, John Larry

Grant Wilkinson
07-31-2013, 2:40 PM
Do you have a time frame in mind? The solid wood approach would likely mean turning them rough while wet, letting them dry for several months, then turning them into final size and shape. It's the way to go, no doubt, by does it fit your schedule?

John Padgett
08-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the advice. Solid it is. I think I will turn them rough while wet Grant. I was worried about cracking on the solid bowl, but maybe if I do it that way it wont be an issue.