PDA

View Full Version : Respraying Kitchen drawers

David Huston
07-27-2013, 11:01 AM
My kitchen cabinets are showing wear after only a year and I was wanting to respray the drawer faces and doors. I have some Target Coatings EM6500 that I just used to spray a built in with and I want to use it for the kitchen. Do you think it will hold up to kitchen use on its own or should I top coat with something? The only thing I have right now to topcoat with is Target Coatings EM2000. Also, i will definitely sand the drawers and doors but should I remove all the previous finish or just sand enough to remove any junk and to scuff it up. The previous finish is Gemini Lacquer if that helps.

Thanks

David

PS - I am pretty sure the reason the first finish is failing is that it was only one coat and I dont think all the edges were broken enough (shaker style). The finish is only peeling/chipping around edges that see alot of handling, the flat areas and infrequently used cabinets show no problems.

Thanks again

Frederick Rowe
08-13-2013, 3:25 PM
The EM6500 will bond well to the cured Gemini Lacquer without the need of an intermediate sealer. Fine sand the nitro and wipe down with DNA. EM2000 over EM65000 will also work fine, it is water and chemical resistant.

Jim Becker
08-13-2013, 4:50 PM
My kitchen was finished with the "two generations back" product that EM6000/6500 stems from back in 2003 and it's finally showing a need for refurbishing. Please be aware that you must, must, MUST thoroughly clean these surfaces before you start your refinishing process. Kitchens are greasy places and you have to eliminate that contamination before you proceed with your update.