PDA

View Full Version : Question for owners of Festool DF 700

mreza Salav
07-27-2013, 12:07 AM
I'm considering this tool and was wondering if it can be used for reinforcing mitered cabinet doors?
I know DF 500 accepts smaller dominos but that's not what I'm interested in (as I want to use big/long dominos too for doors).
I see the smallest bit that DF 700 accepts is 8mm, so it seems it can be used in typical 3/4 (or 7/8) thick mitered profile doors like these
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/raised_panel_router_bits4.html#mitered_doorframe_a nchor

Am I right? have any of you who have this used it for a similar purpose? I know it's a big bulky but...

Also, is there anywhere these can be bought/sold used? I might use it for a bunch of projects but I might decide to sell it later...

Chris Rosenberger
07-27-2013, 7:59 AM
In my opinion, the 500 will be a better choice for the mitered doors you are planning to make. Of course that depends on how thick you are going to make the rails.
If you plan to use 3/4" material, the profiles will limit how long of a tenon you can use. I believe a 8mm X 50mm tenon would be plenty.

There are a lot of 700s sold on Ebay.

Sam Murdoch
07-27-2013, 8:18 AM
I agree with Chris. For the size and style doors you are showing I think you will find that you are severely limited when the smallest Domino you can use is 8mm. For architectural size doors or bigger work I can see the need for larger Dominos but for cabinet size products the 5mm to 10 mm ranges is surprisingly thorough. My most used sizes are the 6x40 mm and the 5x30mm. I have used the 8s and 10s on projects too (including architectural doors -you can always double up) but the smaller sizes are always on the bench - certainly for 3/4" and 7/8" thick applications.

Jamie Buxton
07-27-2013, 10:43 AM
If you really want to buy a Domino, don't let me stop you. However, corner joinery on mitered doors is one of the few places I use biscuits. The shape of a biscuit fits very nicely on the miter, with the pointy end getting nearly all the way to the outside end of the miter. Biscuit joiners and biscuits are way less expensive than Domino joiners and Dominos.

mreza Salav
07-27-2013, 10:47 AM
The main reason I want 700 is for passage/entry doors that I want to build. I want to see if I can also use it for cabinet doors or not.
8mm I felt is a bit too thick for cabinet doors (even 7/8" thick) and from what you say that seems to be the case. There is no way I'm going to buy both 500 and 700.
Maybe I stick to using round biscuits for mitered cabinet doors then...?

Chris Rosenberger
07-27-2013, 11:09 AM
I misunderstood your original post. If you are also going to do passage then get the 700. You can buy an adapter that allows the use of the 500 bits in the 700.
I just believe the 700 is to bulky of a machine to use on small parts. http://www.senecawoodworking.com/

mreza Salav
07-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Jamie, I have a biscuit joiner (although rarely use it); I see the biscuits that come with mitered door kits is a bit more like circle (than the standard ones) perhaps for more grip.

Chris: thanks a lot for that link. I didn't know that adapter exists and it probably does what I would want.

One other question (other than whether 700 could be used for mitered cabinet doors or not) is if dominos are actually better than biscuits for mitered cabinet doors (basically what jamie says above).

Chris Rosenberger
07-27-2013, 12:23 PM
In my opinion, using biscuits on mitered joints on paneled doors will make a strong joint. A domino will make a very strong joint, but on wood paneled doors it my be overkill. If the door will have a glass panel, or a mitered frame with no panel, then the domino would be the way to go.