PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 552 pocket hole machine

Mike Heidrick
07-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Picked one up tonight. The DC on this machine is non existent. Anyone use one and have good ideas on DC for it?\

Mikie

(and I know, no pic did not happen) http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowwink.gif

Stephen Cherry
07-26-2013, 10:23 PM
http://www.castleusa.com/wp-c-1/wp-content/uploads/11Manual12Complete.pdf

jim gossage
07-28-2013, 2:05 PM
Dust collection is actually pretty good if you have the port unclogged and the collection bag turned to the right direction. I don't have to bag in front of me, but fiddle with the direction of the bag a little bit and you should se some kind of improvement.

Mike Heidrick
07-28-2013, 7:21 PM
Dust collection is actually pretty good if you have the port unclogged and the collection bag turned to the right direction. I don't have to bag in front of me, but fiddle with the direction of the bag a little bit and you should se some kind of improvement.

Hi Jim, Its a 552 not a 557. This is a pocket hole cutting machine not a biscuit cutter. Thank you though!

Rick Potter
07-29-2013, 3:39 AM
I have one, loaned out to my rich buddy. I asked the same question and the decision for us was to simply build a box under it with a 4" hole for DC. Then, put it on a cabinet of the right height. If you turn it over, you will find there is no bottom, so you just need to take the feet off, and attach to the above box. He hasn't gotten around to building it yet. If it works out well, I will then repo it :cool:.

By the way, it may have a 3/8" collet on it for a proprietary router bit. If so, a PC 690 1/2" collet will interchange and you can use any 3/8" spiral upcut bit (of the right length). I suspect it will take the old style PC collet, they changed about 10 years ago.

Rick P

PS: I have a Castle floor model with an enclosed cabinet stand. The workings are open all the way to the bottom, and the only provision for DC is a 4" hole on the bottom left side. Not mentioned in the owners manual at all.

jim gossage
07-29-2013, 5:55 AM
Ooops, my bad! Well, just in case you buy a 557, now you know!

Matt Meiser
07-29-2013, 9:32 AM
A box under it would be my approach. That's what I was going to do with a Kreg Foreman.

Jeff Duncan
07-29-2013, 9:49 AM
We're all waiting to see how you solve the dust problem:D

It's pretty far down my "to do" list so I just do all my slots and then sweep up afterwards. Not the best setup, but then again it's not a machine I use every day either.

good luck,
JeffD

Stephen Cherry
07-29-2013, 9:55 AM
The castle manual I posted has instructions for dedusting what is basically the same machine.

Also, that porter cable pocket machines is basically one of the "sleeper buys" on craigslist. Sometimes available pretty cheap, it looks like it can do the job of a machine costing lots more dinero. As for the normal pocket jigs, once you use a decent pocket machine, it would be hard to go back.

Mike Heidrick
07-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks for that link Stephen. I checked it out - guess I could cut those ports (no knockouts on the PC). Considering the stand mod though. Or just doubling my money.

I use my foreman inverted on an angle behind my clamp rack and reverse (push handle instead of pull). It allows dust to roll back to port and also makes it nice for positioning the wood on the fence. I made a 1/4" bottom for it and use a 2 1/2" dust hose adapter. Pic shows

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/kreghole.jpg

Stephen Cherry
07-29-2013, 8:24 PM
I use my foreman inverted

After you try the PC (castle) machine, it would be interesting to hear what you think about the two machines. On some of the other sites, there has been big debates over the comparison of castle vs Kreg. In any case, my impression is the dust collection would be more important on the PC (castle) machine. It seems that the kreg makes more of a chip than dust.