PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible

Jay Jolliffe
07-26-2013, 9:16 PM
to cut 1/8'' aluminum on a saw stop table saw? I know you can on a regular saw but don't know if it's possible on a saw stop.

Alan Lightstone
07-26-2013, 9:47 PM
I've done it. Look in the instruction manual for the bypass procedures. Don't forget to use it, or you'll trigger the cartridge.

johnny means
07-27-2013, 1:39 AM
If you do, be sure to clean out the chips really well. The loose shavings can cause the break to trip even after the aluminum its long gone. Also, if you don't have the newer style breaks with the plastic coating, a layer tape will help prevent grounding of the break to the blade afterwards, if any loser chips are still floating around.

ray hampton
07-27-2013, 2:54 AM
do they make a blade special to cut metal [non-ferrous]

Jim Matthews
07-27-2013, 7:10 AM
Isn't this what jigsaws and chopsaws are for?

Art Mann
07-27-2013, 9:06 AM
A chopsaw is no more appropriate than a table saw for cutting aluminum. Either will work fine. I have used my table saw to cut aluminum many times. I just used an older 40 tooth combination blade and it didn't dull the teeth any more than plywood would have. The Sawstop is only a special case because of the blade brake/retract feature. Some band saws are two speed with the slower speed being provided especially to cut soft metals. You are obviously limited to lengths that are less than the throat of the band saw.

ray hampton
07-27-2013, 3:41 PM
A chopsaw is no more appropriate than a table saw for cutting aluminum. Either will work fine. I have used my table saw to cut aluminum many times. I just used an older 40 tooth combination blade and it didn't dull the teeth any more than plywood would have. The Sawstop is only a special case because of the blade brake/retract feature. Some band saws are two speed with the slower speed being provided especially to cut soft metals. You are obviously limited to lengths that are less than the throat of the band saw.

If the throat are too short THEN take extra CUTS