PDA

View Full Version : Some Results from the OC Fair

Mike Henderson
07-26-2013, 9:08 PM
I submitted a number of things to the OC Fair Woodworking competition this year. I was disappointed that my floral coffee table did not place. The piece that won first place was a table that had a ring of white roses (marquetry) and maybe they didn't want to have two rose marquetry tables in the awards.

But my Water Lily tray won second place plus a special "Industry Award", which included a $100 prize. I really don't think this tray was my best work - for example, the shading is not well done. But people seem to like it, perhaps because it's a high contrast piece.

Finally, the Fair purchased my dogwood tray for their permanent collection. This one, in my opinion, was a well done piece.

So even before the fair is over, I haven't done too bad financially. At the end of the fair, they'll give me cards that people who are interested in my work have filled out. I'll have to call them to see if I can sell them something, but usually I sell a few trays.

Mike

Alan Lightstone
07-26-2013, 9:49 PM
Nice work, Mike. I agree, the coffee table was a stunner. But so is the dogwood tray, so you still did fine.

Dave Verstraete
07-27-2013, 8:10 AM
Mike
I really like all three pieces. Congrats!
Where does a woodworker learn marquetry?

Joe Kieve
07-27-2013, 8:16 AM
Mike... all three entries are gorgeous! Did you make the marquetry frames also? If so, nice job there too.

glenn bradley
07-27-2013, 9:41 AM
I really don't think this tray was my best work - for example, the shading is not well done. But people seem to like it, perhaps because it's a high contrast piece.

Having someone walk right by a piece that I am really fond of and go straight to a piece that I think is pretty average has happened more than once. Different people are taken by different things. I have learned to smile and keep quiet except to thank folks for any kind words. Your work is stunning as always Mike. That table may replace my other favorite of yours, the folding leaf dining table (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?24722-Expanding-Kitchen-Table); I wish the thread showed more of the details. The dogwood piece is just wonderful, I don't know what more I can say about it, just beautiful.

Andrew Hughes
07-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Congratulations on your awards Mike,The industry awards are the ones the everyone hopes for.I didn't submit any thing this maybe next year,did David Blackburn enter anything?he usually takes best of show.
You did nail it on the dogwood tray love the colors!

Shawn Pixley
07-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Nice work and congratulations on the awards! It is always interesting to see what wins. I feel the judging can be very subjective as to style rewarded.

if you don't mind me asking, what did you sell the dogwood tray for? I had to put a price on my entry to the VC fair. I really don't want to sell it as it was intended for a gift. I put a high price on it, but struggled with the right figure. I understand if you feel uncomfortable about disclosing it.

Mike Henderson
07-27-2013, 1:07 PM
Nice work and congratulations on the awards! It is always interesting to see what wins. I feel the judging can be very subjective as to style rewarded.

if you don't mind me asking, what did you sell the dogwood tray for? I had to put a price on my entry to the VC fair. I really don't want to sell it as it was intended for a gift. I put a high price on it, but struggled with the right figure. I understand if you feel uncomfortable about disclosing it.
Thanks, Shawn. I started last year at $250 and had more interest than I had trays (I had a couple more copies of the ones I put in the show). This year, I priced the trays at $350 to $450 (the morning glory on a trellis was $450 because of the number of pieces in it). I'll have to wait for the end of the fair to see if I priced myself out of the market.

Mike

Mike Henderson
07-27-2013, 1:11 PM
Mike... all three entries are gorgeous! Did you make the marquetry frames also? If so, nice job there too.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "frames", Joe. The marquetry is the bottom of a tray, and the main marquetry panel is surrounded by a decorative banding and a border. Both the banding and the border are veneer. Then, there are sides to the tray, which are ordinary wood. You can see some of the build process here (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/RectangularTray.htm).

Mike

Mike Henderson
07-27-2013, 1:13 PM
Mike
I really like all three pieces. Congrats!
Where does a woodworker learn marquetry?
I took a course with Paul Schurch in Santa Barbara. Unfortunately, he doesn't teach any more but he does have an excellent DVD, which you can find on his web site. Google "Paul Schurch" and you'll find him.

Mike

Frederick Skelly
07-27-2013, 1:14 PM
All 3 pieces are just gorgeous Mike. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Fred

Mike Henderson
07-27-2013, 1:17 PM
Congratulations on your awards Mike,The industry awards are the ones the everyone hopes for.I didn't submit any thing this maybe next year,did David Blackburn enter anything?he usually takes best of show.
You did nail it on the dogwood tray love the colors!
I don't recall anything by David Blackburn. There was a David Wade who won a first place. The list of results are here (http://ocfair.com/competitions/docs/2013/results/Woodworking-Results.pdf). And the list of all entries are here (http://ocfair.com/competitions/docs/2013/results/2013-VA-Preliminary-Judging-Results.pdf).

Mike

Will Blick
07-28-2013, 12:18 AM
excellent work Mike, thx for sharing...
how long will the wood projects be on display at OC fair?

Mike Henderson
07-28-2013, 12:21 AM
excellent work Mike, thx for sharing...
how long will the wood projects be on display at OC fair?
The fair closes August 11 and we have to pick up our projects on August 12.

Mike

Shawn Pixley
07-28-2013, 1:04 AM
I don't recall anything by David Blackburn. There was a David Wade who won a first place. The list of results are here (http://ocfair.com/competitions/docs/2013/results/Woodworking-Results.pdf). And the list of all entries are here (http://ocfair.com/competitions/docs/2013/results/2013-VA-Preliminary-Judging-Results.pdf).

Mike

David lives up by me in VC. Hes a friend of mine and a heckofa nice guy. I don't think the rules let him enter the OC fair. He does enter and win the show down in San Diego.

Alan Lightstone
07-28-2013, 10:25 AM
I took a course with Paul Schurch in Santa Barbara. Unfortunately, he doesn't teach any more but he does have an excellent DVD, which you can find on his web site. Google "Paul Schurch" and you'll find him.

Mike

Mike

I love his DVDs. Taking a course with him must have been great. Nothing like hands on instruction.

It seems to have served you well, as your work is stunning.

Greg Peterson
07-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Mike - Your work is always amazing. Your design and craftsmanship are aspirational.

Gary Muto
08-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Congratulations Mike. It's great to see the recognition and appreciation for fine woodworking too.
Maybe you can fill the void left by Paul Schurch? I would be interested and I make it to your area once or twice a year for family holidays.