PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify this tool

Anders M. Jensen
07-26-2013, 5:57 PM
Hi everybody, young guy from Denmark here.

I got this strange looking tool in a deal, but to be honest I have no idea what it's for. Can any of you guys clarify what it's for? It's not sharp at all, more like a ig flat screwdriver at the tip and then about 1 1/2 inches up it turns into some sort of drill. This isn't sharp either though. If it's meant to work as a screwdriver I would like to know what the twist is for.

Regards, Anders

Bruce Page
07-26-2013, 6:46 PM
Anders, I tried to brighten up the picture a bit.

Based on the file handle I would guess this was an experiment in blacksmithing. A pretty good one too.

Anders M. Jensen
07-26-2013, 7:10 PM
That did the trick, thanks much better now.

If the tool isn't a woodworking tool of some sort, I think I'll do a spark test and forge a woodworking tool out of it if it's high carbon. :)

george wilson
07-26-2013, 8:13 PM
It was typical in the 18th.C and possibly 19th.C. to make screwdrivers with twisted blades. I guess they thought it looked tricky. That is not an old looking handle. It looks like a file handle. The blade could be old,or a blacksmith made twisted blade. Any markings on the blade? I see screwdrivers like that in old reprinted English 18th.-19th.C. tool catalogs that we used for research. They kept the same illustrations for many decades in English hardware catalogs. If an old blade was jammed into that file handle,the name might be found up inside the handle,if you could pull the blade out easily.

Charles Wiggins
07-26-2013, 9:29 PM
It was typical in the 18th.C and possibly 19th.C. to make screwdrivers with twisted blades. I guess they thought it looked tricky.

I don't have the engineering background to back this up scientifically, but it seems to me that the twist would increase the blade's resistance to torque.

Keith Pitman
07-26-2013, 9:52 PM
I don't have the engineering background to back this up scientifically, but it seems to me that the twist would increase the blade's resistance to torque.

. . . or, vice versa . . .

Bill Houghton
07-26-2013, 11:41 PM

Doubtful. I suspect it was something done because it was cool.

Hilton Ralphs
07-27-2013, 2:57 AM
Now you know what to do with all those old Auger bits that aren't used any more.