PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Slide Question...

Adam Kaufman
07-26-2013, 5:19 PM
I need a recommendation for drawer slides on a vanity I'm building.

The vanity is about 50" wide and is basically a 20" wide center cabinet and two 14" wide side cabinets that are 4" shallower. It will have a radiused top on it. If I didn't explain that very well, sorry.

The two side cabinets will have a small 11" or so wide drawer at the top. Because the side cabinets are recessed and the counter top radiused, it will limit access to the drawer. I was looking for a single center mount slide, but they all seem to be 3/4 extension. If I could find the same in full extension, I'd be golden.

I hate the idea of side mount slides because of the look and the fact that the drawers are narrow enough as it is.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

scott vroom
07-26-2013, 5:27 PM
Blum Tandem undermounts.

Sam Murdoch
07-26-2013, 5:55 PM
Then there is always this low tech classic - http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=198&ne_ppc_id=776&mkwid=3987679&pcrid=5325342720&ne_key_id=siBm2R3rc&gclid=CKrBy-SzrgCFZCe4AodPWcAmA

Adam Kaufman
07-26-2013, 6:13 PM
Yeah, I thought about the low tech slides. I just worry about the kids yanking them out and dropping the drawer on the floor.

I saw the the Blum's at Rockler and they'd work fine, but the cost is crazy (I assume you're talking about the Blumotion ones). $70 for two sets... Wow.

Shawn Bush
07-26-2013, 7:27 PM
Check out ahturf.com for very good prices on Blum.

John TenEyck
07-26-2013, 8:12 PM
How about side mounted slides? They are cheaper than undermounts. I recently used some KV ones that had 1" over extension, which would be helpful with your application, and also were soft closing, from here: http://www.wwhardware.com/kv-8455-soft-close-full-extension-with-overtravel-drawer-slides-kv8455fm

John

Mark W Pugh
07-26-2013, 9:29 PM
Check out ahturf.com for very good prices on Blum.

+1, best prices I can find on Blum.

scott vroom
07-26-2013, 9:49 PM
Yeah, I thought about the low tech slides. I just worry about the kids yanking them out and dropping the drawer on the floor.

I saw the the Blum's at Rockler and they'd work fine, but the cost is crazy (I assume you're talking about the Blumotion ones). $70 for two sets... Wow.

First off, you gotta stop shopping at Rockler...they're a rip off. Have you tried cabinetparts.com? Great site, short leadtimes, good pricing.

http://www.cabinetparts.com/c/drawer-slides-undermount?gclid=CNjn7OzHzrgCFcR_QgodzmEAUQ

Curious why you feel you need blumotion for small vanity drawers? I pay $20/pr for full extension Tandems w/out bluemotion.

Matt Meiser
07-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Blum Tandem undermounts.

+1. Used cheaper ones on our bathrooms and my parents kitchen, then these on our kitchen. They are my go-to slide going forward. Even told my parents I wasn't using anything else on their laundry/master bath.

Jerry Miner
07-27-2013, 2:57 AM
Another option is to use an overtravel full-extension side-mount slide (KV or Accuride or whatever) and mount it under---the weight rating drops from 100# to, I think, 35# when used this way, but 35# should be plenty for a small vanity drawer. Just make sure your drawer bottom is thick enough to accept the mounting screws (1/2" min).

Jim Matthews
07-27-2013, 7:13 AM
+1 on the wood slides.

Put a flipstop in the top of the drawer back.
Wax the bejabbers out of the slide - in a bathroom, it's going to get wet.

I buy the ones with the most play for damp spaces.

Adam Kaufman
07-27-2013, 11:52 AM
First off, you gotta stop shopping at Rockler...they're a rip off. Have you tried cabinetparts.com? Great site, short leadtimes, good pricing.

http://www.cabinetparts.com/c/drawer-slides-undermount?gclid=CNjn7OzHzrgCFcR_QgodzmEAUQ

Curious why you feel you need blumotion for small vanity drawers? I pay $20/pr for full extension Tandems w/out bluemotion.

I usually only shop at Rockler with a free shipping code. Often times, it comes out cheaper.

I don't feel that I need Blumotion. I was just asking if that's what Scott meant. I didn't know that they had non-Blumotion tandem undermounts.

Thanks for the help folks. It looks like I'm in for some Tandem Undermounts, although Jerry's suggestion of over-extensions mounted underneath is sounding good too. Hmmm...

Mark Bolton
07-27-2013, 12:14 PM

For undermount's those are some of the highest prices Ive seen. Almost $10/unit more even when buying in the 6+ column.

The ahturf site is very close to what we paid last time for 21" undermounts in larger case quantities from our distributor. Definitely great pricing. We are paying 17 for nearly any undermount with soft close. KV is the cheapest, Grass in the middle (what we run now), and blum at a touch over 17 with blumotion.

To the OP, IMO when you get down below $20 going with undermounts is nearly a wash. The undermounts may seem overkill on a small drawer (we just installed several on an office unit with 6" x 21" pencil drawers) but the few bucks above a cheaper alternative is worth it in my opinion and all your slides are consistent. We did some vanities a while back and used some accuride center mounts and I was very unhappy with them.

glenn bradley
07-27-2013, 12:46 PM
I hate the idea of side mount slides because of the look

How about side mounted slides?

:D:D:D

Another option is to use an overtravel full-extension side-mount slide (KV or Accuride or whatever) and mount it under---the weight rating drops from 100# to, I think, 35# when used this way, but 35# should be plenty for a small vanity drawer. Just make sure your drawer bottom is thick enough to accept the mounting screws (1/2" min).

I have done this and used a pair at the outer edges of the drawer box but, I agree with Jerry; unless your user is hard on drawers a single could work for a vanity drawer's contents. Let us know what you decide and how it works out :)