PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Type Rotary Attachment for my Epilog Laser

Joseph Gamble
07-26-2013, 3:26 PM
I am working out the build of a chuck type rotary attachment for my epilog. I have some concerns about others' similar setups that I've seen here on sawmill creek and similar places.

1.) I have seen previous attempts at such a rotary system that seem to have failed
- was their build unreliable?
- did they not have a full understanding of stepper control?
- were the physical constraints in the system un-solvable?
2.) I see that Epilog offers a chuck type rotary system, but it seems it is only for their fancy YAG laser system

The rotary attachment that I plan to build in the next two or three weeks will have the following features:
· 3" 3-Jaw self centering chuck
· chuck will be made of lightweight 6061-T6 aluminum
· chuck jaws will be offered in various standard configurations, but will be made from relatively soft Delrin plastic so you can hold glass and other scratchable / breakable materials
· custom jaws could be built - for laser marking projects that require custom tooling to hold

· Custom motor controller which allows modern motor control techniques (the motor won't overheat like the epilog setup)
· A tailstock on a linear ball bearing slide might come into the project after I get it up and running

A rotary attachment such as this will allow for repeatable clamping of parts that are to be engraved or cut. For example: lens rings, other expensive parts which must be completely repeatably engraved.

I will have a fully functional example within the next two to three weeks. I'll post pictures, videos, and details about the rotary setup asap.

Some background on me: I'm an engineer who owns a CNC machine shop. I have the metal fabrication and engineering capability to produce a useful rotary setup that will be modern and reliable. I use my epilog to mark parts regularly, but the rotary setup is awful; mechanically, and electronically.

Let me know if you have comments, or maybe a list of features that you would expect to see on the chuck type rotary setup.

Joseph Gamble
07-26-2013, 3:31 PM
Guy who was looking at the epilog rotary!
I typed a response but the thread vanished guess it got pulled but FYI this was my response, tips you may need

Sounds good in principle but a few things to think about,
First, you can buy for less than $250 a chinese rotary that will give you all the mechanics you need, (3 jaw chuck, tail stock, ect) We have one and they are not bad, they use a stepper motor (often 3 phase) but have all the belts and beraings, something like this http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/6...xis-b-font.jpg (http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/693070485/4th-font-b-axis-b-font-font-b-rotary-b-font-font-b-axis-b-font.jpg)

Secondly and this is the real problem, the method epilog use relies on rollers that are set so as the part diameter changes this is compensated for, ie roller moves 1 inch, part on roller moves 1 inch, when you have a 3 jaw chuck, as the diameter of the part increases so does the distance travelled. The software does not support angles for example, this means you have to do a work around everytime you use the rotary, bit of maths etc, and its never really going to work well, as if you had say a 20' round part, every split move would be large, to compensate the graphic would have to be very small, therefore the density would be very bad. Epilog have changed all this for the YAG laser and now do a nice little rotary unit, but without firmware-hardware changes its never going to be right.

Our rotary we use on our YAGs allow you to enter the part diameter, and also allow us to enter degrees and are extremely accurate, we do lots of micrometer barrels and the like.

I like your thinking, but before you start on the mechanicals you need to work out the electronics-software side, it can definitely be done but i suspect it will be much harder than you may think. But if you like a challenge........

L Squared Lasers UK
3 x Electrox D40
3 x electrox Scriba 2
1 x hans 20w vanadate
1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
1 x Electrox Razer CO2 Galvo System
1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

Plus lots of bits and peices we have collected over the years.

Joseph Gamble
07-26-2013, 3:32 PM
Thanks for the input here.

Maybe I could work out a system where you type in the diameter on the rotary attachment, and compensate electronically. This shouldn't be impossible.

Joseph Gamble
07-26-2013, 3:42 PM
the chinese rotary with the tailstock and all is on ebay for $245. That's a pretty close setup. I believe that I can build to be more appropriate for a laser setup, and with an appropriate stepper drive. Since I'll have my own electronics on it, putting a motor on there that can do things like micro stepping, and so on might make it easy to deal with the diameter compensation issue.

Alternately I could come up with some math that will use the page height to solve the problem.

I'll be able to make it pretty darn easy to use I think whether it's software, or electronics, or a combination..

I will be starting with some chuck parts from a similar setup to the ebay one, but I will need to make the rest myself to keep it nimble.