PDA

View Full Version : Rob's new Butt Chisels

Hilton Ralphs
07-26-2013, 8:23 AM
I see that Veritas will have PM-V11 butt chisels available in September. Prices I suppose are on par with their other PM chisels. Nice that there will be a 2inch and as small as 1/4".

This picture from Popular Woodworking.

Chris Griggs
07-26-2013, 8:36 AM
Interesting that they are making those in the wider sizes. I guess they are assuming that many folks will want to use them for what they are designed for...butt hinges. I'm not a big fan of butt chisels, but I do like having one wide chisel around and that is the one case where I'm good with a shorter handle, as I tend to use it as a marking tool for deepening/defining lines and such and not really for any kind of paring that require length. I have a 1.5" vintage 750 that I'm in love with for that purpose, so I likely won't end up getting one of these, but its cool to see the PMV11 will be available in such a wide sizes.

David Weaver
07-26-2013, 9:07 AM
They are just a hop and a skip away (in size) for being useful on meat.

http://www.wayfair.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-13-Meat-Pounder-in-Stainless-Steel-42502-11-WCS4048.html

I guess I wouldn't be surprised if LV made one of those in their kitchen section, they are fantastic to use (for people who have more money than I do to spend on such things).

george wilson
07-26-2013, 9:49 AM
For $133.00 I'll find some other way to pound my meat!!

In 18th. C. catalogs,a wide butt chisel is referred to as a gunsmiths chisel. Probably useful for inletting octagonal barrels.

David Weaver
07-26-2013, 10:25 AM
For $133.00 I'll find some other way to pound my meat!!

In 18th. C. catalogs,a wide butt chisel is referred to as a gunsmiths chisel. Probably useful for inletting octagonal barrels.

George, I think you probably could scrape up something to make that in your shop for free. I've pondered it, the only thing I'd have to do is buy more oil to quench it (as well as a lot of hand cutting and filing). I saw an old spot with Jacques Pepin using one on a steak with Julia Child and it looked far better than splashing meat in every direction with a hammer, and you can sharpen one of the edges on it to bone.

george wilson
07-26-2013, 12:40 PM
I could if I wanted one. You might could make a heavier version out of wood. Saw a saw kerf on the edges and epoxy in a piece of saw plate.

Chris Hachet
07-26-2013, 2:10 PM
Looks like a nice set of chisels.

Jim Koepke
07-26-2013, 2:14 PM
Here is one of wood:

The back side is flat.

Most often it gets used for breaking up bags of ice.

jtk

Robert LaPlaca
07-26-2013, 8:12 PM
I use Ashley Iles American Butts with some modified lands as my dovetail choppers, love the balance of the shorter chisels in hand.. Heard so much of the PM-V11 steel, the LV chisel looks really funky, maybe it's just because such a wide chisel is shown (I hope)..

Jim Matthews
07-27-2013, 7:22 AM
They are just a hop and a skip away (in size) for being useful on meat.

Heh-heh.
He said, "Meat pounder"267300.

Ryan Griffey
07-28-2013, 12:07 AM
Could you please update us every time LV comes out with a new tool?

Hilton Ralphs
07-28-2013, 5:56 AM
Could you please update us every time LV comes out with a new tool?
I could but this thread has nothing to do with Lee Valley.

Go to their website and sign up to their newsletter.