PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking Punching out a bunch of disks from 22g aluminum...

Derek Tarvin
07-25-2013, 9:37 PM
Hi everyone -

I'm a bit new to the metal working arena. I'm curious if anyone has any ideas on how to create a bunch of aluminum disks. I'm going to need a bunch... on the order of 100's at a time.

I've seen punches that you punch out with a hammer, but for the scale I need I don't think that's realistic. Maybe I need to be looking at a manual bench press? what about hydraulic? Maybe a fly press?

Which direction would you go? Any suggestion on where I could find the equipment?

Thank you!

Derek

Bruce Page
07-25-2013, 10:07 PM
What diameter? If you need 100's at a time you might be better off subbing to a sheet metal shop with a Strippit type punch.

Scott T Smith
07-25-2013, 11:50 PM
What diameter? If you need 100's at a time you might be better off subbing to a sheet metal shop with a Strippit type punch.

+1. A large punch press or laser are other options.

Derek Tarvin
07-26-2013, 8:33 AM
Thanks for the input!

I'll need them in .75", 1" and 1.25" diameters. Maybe I'm just at that in between spot. Too many pieces to for art/jeweler's gear, but not enough to buy anything bigger.

I have even been looking at benchtop CNC mills. I don't really care if it takes an hour or more to cut out 100 pieces just as long as I don't have to sit there and swing a hammer.

Derek

George Carlson
07-26-2013, 5:40 PM
It would take one heck of a big hammer. Contact a local sheet metal fab shop. They can produce them in a jiffy. If you don't want a dimple in the middle, be sure to tell them.

ray hampton
07-27-2013, 3:40 AM

you may be able to get the three sizes at scrap metal prices if you can find a factory that are punching holes in a sheet of aluminum , the slugs usual go into a barrel [at least at the company that I work for once up on a time ]

Martin Boekers
08-16-2013, 2:05 PM
This may work, you might have to have dies made.... http://www.maintrophysupply.com/presses.htm

Dave Sheldrake
09-09-2013, 4:21 AM
How thick Derek?

A laser can be ruled out right away, cutting aluminium on a laser is expensive even on multi kilowatt systems.

A cam-over manual punch could be made quite cheaply and dies for that size aren't too difficult to make. Years ago I had loads of disks punched for moderator inserts (firearms) out of ally and cost wise it was pennies at the local punch shop.

best wishes

Dave

Keith Outten
09-09-2013, 9:05 AM
Either a CNC Router or very powerful Laser Engraver will do the job easily. Search your area for a local company that owns a Kern Laser, the 150 watt machine will cut 22G aluminum and I would not expect the price to be cost prohibitive. I often take large jobs to Norva Plastics that need to be run on their Kern Laser Engraver.

If this is something you need to do often you can purchase a small desktop CNC Router that will also do the job or find someone in our Friends of The Creek directory who will machine the disks. Both ShopBot and CAMaster sell desktop machines that are worthy of consideration IMO.

Dave Sheldrake
09-09-2013, 12:58 PM
the 150 watt machine will cut 22G aluminum

Kern only advertise Aluminium cutting on the 400 watt Keith afaik.

http://www.kernlasers.com/metal_cutting.htm

I've had quite a few jobs go awry when I've used Oxygen to cut aluminium, stress cracking seems to be a lot worse and the aluminium oxide that forms can be a pain to get rid of :(

cheers

Dave

Bruce Boone
09-17-2013, 10:00 AM
There are little pneumatic table top punches made for small stuff like discs like that. It would be fast and relatively cheap.