PDA

View Full Version : Festool Tracksaw splinterguard repair

Jon McElwain
07-25-2013, 2:05 PM
So I moved from a humid rainforest climate to a very dry climate (Colorado Front Range) and I am finding that all things sticky get dry and become unstuck in short order. This is certainly a new phenomenon to me as the humidity always ensured that everything stayed sticky! Once such item is the splinter guard on my Festool guide rail. I had someone recommend using some of that scotch spray adhesive to re-attach it, but it only seems to last two or three weeks before coming unstuck again. Anyone found a successful method for reattaching those splinter guards?

Thanks all!

Jon

Jamie Buxton
07-25-2013, 8:15 PM
Festool considers that strip a wear item which occasionally may need to be replaced. You can buy replacement with fresh adhesive from any Festool dealer. Of course, if you find some way to re-stick your existing strip, it is likely to be less expensive.

Jay Jolliffe
07-25-2013, 8:52 PM
I used this on mine & it work great. Still holding strong after 3 months.
http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/images/products/77-1675_1.jpg

Jon McElwain
07-26-2013, 1:49 AM
When I saw the $35 price tag on a replacement strip I decided to try a can of that 3M 77 Spray Adhesive just like Jay shows above. I think I'll try pulling it back again, cleaning the old adhesive off the rail and trying the spray adhesive again. I don't think I did an adequate job of cleaning the rail last time...

Thanks guys!

Chris Rosenberger
07-26-2013, 7:48 AM
I have been told that FastCap SpeedTape works also.

johnny means
07-26-2013, 7:29 PM
FYI, the Dewalt splinter strips are considerably less costly, somewhere around 50% I seem to recall. I think I can do replace my 55" strip for like 8 bucks. Also, I like the solid black edge better, the Festool strip seems to kind of blend in with pencil marks.