PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing Pergo-type Flooring

Tim Bateson
07-25-2013, 8:27 AM
Digging up a really old thread.....http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?36834-How-waterproof-is-pergo-type-flooring

I'm in this situation too - I used a stone looking Pergo in my basement workshop, now the wife wants the same Pergo flooring in the basement bathroom. Since it is on concrete we don't want to use ceramic or stone & linoleum is out of the question. Would several coats of Polyurethane seal the Pergo floor well enough?

Lee Schierer
07-27-2013, 10:04 PM
I doubt you would be happy with the poly over the Pergo. Wilsonart makes a similar product that is more water resistant than Pergo.

Dave Verstraete
07-28-2013, 6:57 AM
Allure flooring sold at Home Depot is a snap lock alternative that is a vinyl product.

Jason Roehl
07-29-2013, 8:37 AM
I've put down a few snap-lock laminate floors (hate, hate, hate them for many reasons). I suspect that the ones that are glued together (glue goes in the groove of each piece) would be far more water-resistant than the snap-lock sort.

Prashun Patel
07-29-2013, 9:37 AM
I wouldn't count out vinyl. Check out Amtico. I put it in my basement bathroom and it looks as good 7 years later as it did day 1. It's 'as good looking' as pergo IMHO, but way more durable.

I put down a Dri Core subfloor first, then a 1/4" plywood underlayment and finally the vinyl. Underfoot, it feels like a 'first floor', not a basement, which my wife is pleased about.