PDA

View Full Version : Shop mallet

Gordon Eyre
07-24-2013, 9:04 PM
Yesterday was a slow day so I picked up a few maple and walnut scraps and made me a shop mallet. It came out nice and all I have left to do is to pin the handle in with a couple of 1/4" dowels. I have a bunch of larger size dowels but no 1/4" ones. A quick run to Lowes in the AM should solve that.

Duane Meadows
07-24-2013, 9:41 PM
Very nice, Gordon. I like it a lot.

Gordon Eyre
07-24-2013, 9:44 PM
Thanks Duane. This project let me do my first resawing job on my new bandsaw so that is another reason I wanted to make it.

Thomas Canfield
07-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Neat mallet Duane. It looks like the new bandsaw is in the background also.

Rod Sheridan
07-25-2013, 8:36 AM
Nice mallet Gordon.

I don't pin my handles, they're loose in the head, held on by the taper of the handle.............Rod.

Gordon Eyre
07-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Neat mallet Duane. It looks like the new bandsaw is in the background also.

Thanks Thomas, your right about the bandsaw. I won this saw on the SCM drawing.

Nice mallet Gordon.

I don't pin my handles, they're loose in the head, held on by the taper of the handle.............Rod.

Hi Rod, the handle on this mallet is glued into the slot and the pins will just add to the stability. I realize that this will permanently affix the handle making it difficult to repair. Thanks for your comments.

Prashun Patel
07-25-2013, 10:27 AM
"...making it difficult to repair"

These are so fun to make, if mine ever break, I'd look forward to making a new one!

Nice looking mallet. It's so big! Can't wait to see the monster mortises you'll be chopping with that.

Rod Sheridan
07-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Gordon, you're welcome.

Mallets are fun to make, and yours looks really nice with the contrasting wood..........Rod.

Jim Rimmer
07-25-2013, 1:20 PM
Too nice to hit anything with it. ;)

Pat Barry
07-25-2013, 1:22 PM
Looks like it will double nicely as a personal protection device but you probably would need a permit to carry it with you..

Gordon Eyre
07-25-2013, 1:44 PM
"...making it difficult to repair"

These are so fun to make, if mine ever break, I'd look forward to making a new one!

Nice looking mallet. It's so big! Can't wait to see the monster mortises you'll be chopping with that.

Thanks Prashun. I think the perspective of the photo I took makes it look bigger than it is. Measured across the bottom of the head it is only 4 inches.

Too nice to hit anything with it. ;)

:) Thanks Jim.

Looks like it will double nicely as a personal protection device but you probably would need a permit to carry it with you..

Actually I am licensed to carry!