PDA

View Full Version : Southern Yellow Pine for next year

Warren E. Johnson
07-24-2013, 6:29 PM
I have a project that will require about 150 bd ft of southern yellow pine. The local lumber company is very proud of their lumber but I got plenty for free this afternoon. Only problem is it still has the bark on it.

I will take it to the mill sometime next week and it should be ready for use sometime next year. I guess I will need to pay for what I need now. Next year I'll just go out back to my pile.

Jim Matthews
07-24-2013, 6:38 PM
It would appear that the "Shop Foreman" approves of your inventory.

Dennis Ford
07-24-2013, 8:21 PM
Nice logs; it looks like you got some hardwood also (is that elm?).

Warren E. Johnson
07-24-2013, 9:43 PM
Nice logs; it looks like you got some hardwood also (is that elm?).

There are three white oak logs on the trailer as well. I already have a lot of oak so I am more interested in the pine. I have been looking for some clear pine and I think I found some.

Rod Sheridan
07-25-2013, 8:40 AM
[QUOTE=Warren E. Johnson;2135774]I have a project that will require about 150 bd ft of southern yellow pine. The local lumber company is very proud of their lumber but I got plenty for free this afternoon. Only problem is it still has the bark on it.

I will take it to the mill sometime next week and it should be ready for use sometime next year. I guess I will need to pay for what I need now. Next year I'll just go out back to my pile.

Very nice Warren, I built a home made mill last year that comes apart into pieces I can lift into my mini van.

Scott T Smith
07-25-2013, 9:30 AM
Warren, it looks like you made a good score! Depending upon where you are located, at this time of the year 4/4 pine will air dry down to 16% in about 90 - 120 days. You will want to either take the lumber to a kiln or build a home sterilization chamber in order to set the pitch in the pine; otherwise you might spend a lot of time cleaning up your shop equipment.

Chris Hachet
07-25-2013, 5:13 PM
I have a project that will require about 150 bd ft of southern yellow pine. The local lumber company is very proud of their lumber but I got plenty for free this afternoon. Only problem is it still has the bark on it.

NICE score....!

Matt Ellis
07-26-2013, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=Warren E. Johnson;2135774]I have a project that will require about 150 bd ft of southern yellow pine. The local lumber company is very proud of their lumber but I got plenty for free this afternoon. Only problem is it still has the bark on it.

Very nice Warren, I built a home made mill last year that comes apart into pieces I can lift into my mini van.

That is really neat. There are some seriously talented people around.