PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw

Bob Yarbrough
05-24-2005, 9:09 PM
After getting back into woodworking last winter, I purchased a Delta contractors saw. Over the last six months, I have spent approx. %50 of my limited shop time attempting to keep the saw adjusted (getting pretty good at it). Upon attending the MN Woodworking Show last Sat., the Delta rep at the show told me to take it back. Just got off the phone with my local Rocklers and they said bring it back, no problems.

Now I have a very bad taste for the Delta saws, and I plan on taking the refund and upgrading to a "super saw", or better, depending on price. My shop space does not have 220, and I do not need all the bells and whistles. My projects tend to be blanked chests, bookcases, etc. Trying to start simple and get more complicated as I aquire more experience.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Bob

Corey Hallagan
05-24-2005, 9:59 PM
Which saw did you have Bob? What was the problem keeping in adjustment?
Corey

Cecil Arnold
05-24-2005, 10:09 PM
For the price difference between a super saw and one of the low end cabnet saws you might want to consider the latter. If you continue in woodworking you will want one anyway so save yourself the intermediate steps. I know it sounds like too much saw and too much money, and installing 220v is a pain, but you'll be happier in the long run and if you get out of the hobby they are easier to sell.

Tim Morton
05-24-2005, 10:29 PM
don't bum out on delta completely, my delta CS has worked flawlessly over the past 4 years...you might have just gotten a lemon. I'm sure the folks here can help guide your next purchase....good luck!!!

Dave Wright #2
05-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Yea - what Corey said. What about the Delta CS needed frequent adjustment? Which model # was it? I ran one of the classic Delta CSs for the past dozen years or so, and only needed to make any of the adjustments once. Some of the adjustments had to be made a few times until I got them right, granted, but once set right they didn't have to be redone ever.

I went to a cabinet saw last year. I'm glad I made the switch, but the difference is mostly in my head. Both type saws do good work. The cabinet saw cuts a little better and is a more pleasant shop companion.

Bob Yarbrough
05-24-2005, 11:57 PM
I do think I got a lemon. I do not know the exact model off the top of my head. 2 cast iron wings, bies clone for a fence. I believe that the only contractors saw that was an upgrade had 50 in rip capicity, mine has 30 inch.

I constantly have to readjust the blade paralle to the table. I will spend quite a bit of time getting it just right, set my fence a wee bit wider on the outake side, start ripping boards, and within 5-10 cuts, start realigning all over. And I do get the trunion bolts TIGHT, so the table is not slipping out of alignment due to loose bolts.

Also, the "wings" are not exactly flush with the main table. Quite a bit of time was spent getting the best fit possible. Not perfect, but close.

All in all, sveral decisions to make, trade the saw straight across, upgrade to a super saw, or upgrade to a cab.

Fun, fun.

Corey Hallagan
05-25-2005, 1:25 AM
Hmm.... that definitley isn't good. I wonder if a simple fix would have been PALs if that would have fixed it or once installed locked the adjustment in place. Anyway, that would discourage me. Sounds like maybe you have the 36-680 saw, I have the same one with the steel wings ( you think the CI doesn't line up well, try the steel wings) but anyway, I don't blame you for being disgusted. Frankly I like the contractors style. I hope I don't run into that problem you have, I can't test mine out until I get my wiring straight. For the price I paid ($399. Home Depot Special) I am hoping mine turns out to be a steal. Anyway, If I had to do it again, or more importantly if I was spending in the 500 - 600. area, I would probably go with either a General, Griz or the Ridgid contractor saws. One of them most likely. If I was to step up one beyond that, the Grizzly 1023 would be mine, I hear very good things about that saw. Beyond that, the General Cabinet saw ( the one Frank P has) would be my choice) Just remember, you can get a lemon from any company, so keep those receipts!
Corey

Chris Lee
05-25-2005, 8:14 AM
Bob,
I don't know what your budget is, but I have the General International and I couldn't be happier. It comes wired for 110 and runs well on it and only pulls about 15 amps, so you should have no problem. The grizz is nice but you would probably have to change breakers as it pulls 24 amps. One of the main reasons I picked the GI was because so many people had been happy with it on 110, plus a powerful 2hp motor, great fence(biesemeyer), left tilt and a few other nice features.

Chris