PDA

View Full Version : Sargent rebate plane ID?

Michael Arruda
07-24-2013, 2:18 AM
Hey all!

I'm looking at this Sargent rabbit plane. It's not a 78, duplex, just a single cutter plow position form what I can tell. The main casting also is squared off at the end where the horn is- most of the Sargents I can find are more rounded.

Any ideas as far as model number, rarity, usability, etc?

Thanks,
Michael

Tim Atkins
07-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Looks like a no. 36 rabbit/dado plane. I haven't seen very many. Probably on the rare side of planes. Sorta like a Stanley 39. I like the looks of those planes with the acanthus type side design. When cleaned up they are great looking. Does it have the 3/4" cutter with it ? Good find.

Bill Houghton
07-24-2013, 1:10 PM
If it's in good shape, it's a useful specialty plane, for cutting dados - troughs across the grain, for inserting shelves in a solid wood bookcase, for instance.

Andrae Covington
07-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Looks like a no. 36 rabbit/dado plane. I haven't seen very many. Probably on the rare side of planes. Sorta like a Stanley 39. I like the looks of those planes with the acanthus type side design. When cleaned up they are great looking. Does it have the 3/4" cutter with it ? Good find.

I can't tell from the photo how wide it is, but I think Tim is right. Apparently Sargent's numbering system for these was tied to the cutter width, so a #32 would be 1/4", #33 would be 3/8", #36 would be 3/4", etc. Some info here (http://www.sargent-planes.com/sargent-no-36-dado-rabbet-plane/).

Michael Arruda
07-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Actually, I found it for sale. The seller won't budge on the price at $40, so I'm going to pass. I would like a good rabbeting plane to clean up tenon shoulders, machine cut rabbets and dadoes, but this doesn't look like it will do for my purposes. I'll keep my eyes open- still looking for a rabbet plane, a router plane, a low angle jack... too many planes to purchase, so little money, time and space to get them all!

-Michael

Tim Atkins
07-25-2013, 2:45 PM
Price is about retail for that plane. If you get them down a little probably a good deal. You just don't see as many Sargent's as you do Stanley's. I would prefer to have one of those over a Stanley. Just for the cool factor. When cleaned and painted they are really neat looking.

Michael Arruda
07-25-2013, 11:38 PM
Well, looks like she's going to a fellow Creeker. Good to know- the seller made it clear that if he didn't get what he wanted for it, it would be kept. With the apparent lack of knowledge of the tool , it would probably languish on a shelf somewhere, rusting away until the guy's estate sale. I'm much happier seeing tools being used, as they were intended. Same reason I've never wanted a trailer queen- I always promised myself, if I could ever have a cherry show car, I would drive it every once in a while, no matter it's value. To let it sit and never run is an affront to the history and beauty of the designers and craftsman that made the car to drive, just as it is of the plane maker who made the plane to smooth wood.

-Michael