PDA

View Full Version : Gun Blue for Tool Re-hab?

Bill Fleming
07-23-2013, 9:43 PM
I have used Dupli-Color Auto paint for tool re-hab as has been suggested by others on this Forum. But I was wondering if anyone has used one of the cold blues used by gunsmiths - such as Brownell's Oxpho Blue - wouldn't look like the traditional Jappaning but I would think it would provide a nice clean looking finsih.

Thx Bill

David Barnett
07-23-2013, 10:02 PM
I like plum brown for chisels, other hand tools and vintage machine tools. Although there are other ways to get it, Birchwood-Casey (http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Finishing/FinishingDetails.aspx?ProductID=c13fa667-ed45-4e20-ba31-b39c418ed211)Plum Brown™ Barrel Finish (http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Finishing/FinishingDetails.aspx?ProductID=c13fa667-ed45-4e20-ba31-b39c418ed211) works nicely. Lovely color. And you needn't heat with a torch—nothing nearly so hot as to draw temper. A more gentle warming with a heat gun will do, although you may want a couple extra coats to deepen the tone.

Jim Koepke
07-23-2013, 11:38 PM
Bob Smalser has written of using blueing on chisels. At the top of the Neanderthal Haven page there is a link to Neanderthal Have Announcements. When that is opened there is a list which includes Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs. Inside of that are a few posts by Bob Smalser about rehabilitating tools. They are well worth the read.

jtk

Tony Zaffuto
07-24-2013, 6:02 AM
I would second the suggestion of reading Bob Smalser's articles on tool rehab & use of bluing. Bob was one of the true gems on woodworking forums - very practical professional boat builder (IIRC), he re-habbed tools to be used. Because of the environment he worked in, he was always concerned with corrosion, hence, the use of bluing.

David Weaver
07-24-2013, 7:04 AM
Not to mention, bluing will kind of make some of the little nits on old tools disappear temporarily or look a lot less bad. Like light pitting or the super light pitting on chisels, etc, that looks like black smear but will not come off without being ground out (which is a total waste of time).

Any time I run into an old tool that doesn't have a very good uniform look on the cap iron or iron, or on a chisel that's just kind of ugly, zip out the gun blue and cover the problem up.

Like the idea of plum brown, though, i wonder why birchwood casey doesn't have the good sense to show some samples of its effect.

Bluing has never done much for me in terms of rust prevention, but it's still a benefit because if you do see a little rust, abrade it off, splash it with blue again.

David Barnett
07-24-2013, 9:02 AM
Like the idea of plum brown, though, i wonder why birchwood casey doesn't have the good sense to show some samples of its effect.

Not a lot of examples to show that deep rusty plum, no. This pic's (not mine) close to it's darkest range, but the lighter shades are also attractive and it seems more resistant to further rusting—it's actually a chemically-speeded up rust bluing—than other cold blue processes. As with all bluing, the better the surface preparation—smoothing, cleaning—the better the result.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz83/V7145B/IMG_7669.jpg

I've used this and some of the earlier plum browns (now discontinued) on firearms and tools, of course—hinges, pulls and so on, jewelry, glasses frames, ferrous and nonferrous—just play around with it and see what you get. Coat with oil and/or wax. Done

Of course you don't have to be told, but — Do wear gloves. Do wear eye protection. Do not inhale, especially when applying to heated metal.

David Weaver
07-24-2013, 9:06 AM
Do not inhale....

Well then, no ability to a nice pungent fart smell like you get with oxpho blue......there is a spoof tshirt advertisement available for brownells there somewhere "did someone just fart, or is that oxpho blue?"

I do like that (brown) finish color quite a bit, though. Thanks for the picture.

David Barnett
07-24-2013, 9:16 AM
Well then, no ability to a nice pungent fart smell like you get with oxpho blue...

No, nothing like like that liver of sulphur, oxpho blue... fragrance. What won't we do for patina? The cat litter box is great for bronze. Or just pee on it yourself and bury it a few weeks. Years. Patience is a virtue. In ancient China an artisan might bury a casting for the next generation to unearth.

Chris Griggs
07-24-2013, 9:17 AM
Bob was one of the true gems on woodworking forums...

I noticed you used the past tense? Has Bob passed away? His most recent post on SMC appears to be this past November.

David Weaver
07-24-2013, 9:27 AM
I noticed you used the past tense? Has Bob passed away? His most recent post on SMC appears to be this past November.

Bob's still around, just not here maybe. I think he probably wore himself out, and recall that he was building a house. As I recall, I don't think he was real big on anyone not coming to the same conclusions he had on things, but that's third hand, I never saw much to disagree with him about.

Chris Griggs
07-24-2013, 9:33 AM
Bob's still around, just not here maybe. I think he probably wore himself out, and recall that he was building a house. As I recall, I don't think he was real big on anyone not coming to the same conclusions he had on things, but that's third hand, I never saw much to disagree with him about.

Glad he's still around. He sure put a whole bunch of great, free real world knowledge out there.

Bill Fleming
07-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Thx Jim - I always forget to look thru the FAQ's - some great info there - Bill

Darren Brewster
07-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Like light pitting or the super light pitting on chisels, etc, that looks like black smear but will not come off without being ground out (which is a total waste of time).

So that is what that stuff is. Looked like ground in dirt or something, but wouldn't come off on my stones.

wayne Jepson
07-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Finished up this infill recently an used gun blue. I really like the look of it and I will definitely use this finish again. Here is a link to another forum post. http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?51107-Gun-blue-and-ebony-infill&p=464740#post464740

Zander Kale
07-25-2013, 7:45 PM
I like to use cold blue (Birchwood casey Super Blue in my case) if I have a nice surface to put it on. Old castings don't looks so good unless cleaned up. Here are some planes, all blued as the only [metal] finish, one a cast iron frame I rebuilt and cleaned up and a couple of miters:
http://zkprojectnotebook.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/side2.jpg?w=500
http://zkprojectnotebook.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/glam_side2.jpg?w=600