PDA

View Full Version : Blind Woodturning

Eric Holmquist
07-23-2013, 9:26 PM
Our club was contacted by a blind gentleman who is interested in woodturning. Are there any educational resources on teaching woodturning to the blind? The guy live near where I work, and I would be happy to help mentor him, I just worry about not thinking of any special precautions to train him in.

Jeff Nicol
07-23-2013, 9:31 PM
There are quite a few blind turners out there, you as the mentor has to help him getting the feel of the tools and the lathe. Since it will be all about feel once he gets enough time practicing his muscle memory will take over and he will be able to do amazing things. It amazes me that anyone who has lost their sight can overcome it with the heightening of the other senses.

Just be patient and safe while helping him toget started, God will be with you,

JEff

Steve Busey
07-23-2013, 9:45 PM
You might touch base with AAW to see if they have any resources you can tap.

Paul Williams
07-23-2013, 9:51 PM
If my blind father's experience is any indication I would start with spindle turning and use an already round blank. My dad did some turning in high school shop, but the first experience that I remember was many years later. He stuck a roughing gouge into a spinning square block with the tool rest a little too far back. It sent the gouge through the basement window that was behind and above the lathe. Be careful, but it will be a rewarding experience for both of you.

Joe Herrmann
07-24-2013, 8:09 AM
Contact Kurt Hertzog--he has had a blind student in class at Arrowmont and should be able to give you some pointers.

Thom Sturgill
07-24-2013, 8:29 AM
+1 on Kurt. There was a discussion at the symposium on turning with disabilities - two turners in wheelchairs and two blind turners. Kurt helped one of the blind turners get started, she lost her vision and some mobility due to a stroke.

Dan Hintz
07-24-2013, 9:27 AM
I also vaguely recall a magazine article (Woodturning Design?) about a school that teaches woodworking to blind students. If it was WD, it would have been in the first few years of them being published.

Prashun Patel
07-24-2013, 9:37 AM
This is a case where I think it'd be best if the blind were leading the blind.

Find a blind wood turner in the area and invite him to be a guest speaker. I think the sighted would also be interested in this (I know i would).

In the end, there's just too much that we sighted take for granted that we won't be able to safely teach a NEW blind turner. Once he develops his touch, and learns to see and feel the form in his own way, then I think the two worlds will converge.

Thom Sturgill
07-24-2013, 9:48 AM
Eric I PMed you with some contact information on two blind woodturners. Dennis DeVendra has a website, blindwoodturner.com and has worked with the AAW to provide materials.

Eric Holmquist
07-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the help, I've contacted a few folks, and will add Kurt to the list.

I am not aware of any local blind turners, but will see if anyone knows one to help mentor the new guy

Linda Ferber
07-24-2013, 4:33 PM
AAW has been developing a program to develop guidelines for teaching turning to blind and low vision, lead by Dennis DeVendra. We are working on having the materials available on the AAW website. Our program is a starting point and we will welcome comments and suggestions from all.

Eric Holmquist
07-25-2013, 5:49 PM
Got the training materials from Linda and met up with the gentleman today. He is totally blind, but has some previous turning experience.

I think my first goal will be to help him put together sharpening jigs that allows him properly sharpen his tools, and maybe also see about getting him some carbide tools.