PDA

View Full Version : Reliable source for folded saw backs?

David Kuzdrall
07-23-2013, 7:42 PM
This is really a continuation of an old thread that I resurrected regarding folding brass backs for backsaw builds...

I know where I can buy slotted brass backs (and have done so with 100% satisfaction, but are there any good sources for folded brass backs? How about bronze, steel / stainless steel?

thx

george wilson
07-23-2013, 8:07 PM
Tools for Working Wood sells Grammercy saw kits. $120.00 for a blade and back,plan for handle. Might be a bit steep for a kit.

Jamie Bacon
07-23-2013, 9:36 PM
I've been searching for folded brass backs myself ever since Wenzloff lost his supplier. Got a couple from him a few years back and they were great and a real bargain price, but no luck finding another source. Hopefully someone out there knows of an outlet for them. Or is willing to go into the folded brass back business. ;)

Mark Dorman
12-29-2013, 11:06 PM
There is a seller on d bay I saw today that has a few backs listed. I don't know anything about him. Is anyone here familiar with his work? Not trying to promote anyone just curious.

Jim Koepke
12-30-2013, 12:24 PM
This is really a continuation of an old thread that I resurrected regarding folding brass backs for backsaw builds...

I know where I can buy slotted brass backs (and have done so with 100% satisfaction, but are there any good sources for folded brass backs? How about bronze, steel / stainless steel?

thx

David,

Is the source for slotted brass backs still available?

I would like to know where one or two could be purchased.

tia,

jtk

David Kuzdrall
12-30-2013, 10:32 PM
I bought mine from Ron Bontz, at Bontz saw works. As far as I know they are still available.

Rob Streeper
12-31-2013, 11:11 AM
There is a seller on d bay I saw today that has a few backs listed. I don't know anything about him. Is anyone here familiar with his work? Not trying to promote anyone just curious.
Hi Mark,

I am the lister of the brass saw backs on Ebay. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Today I will make some in stainless steel.278586278587

Andrew Kertesz
01-01-2014, 8:14 AM
There is a seller on the other wood site at: wood**t.net that just listed some the other day. If this post breaks any rules please delete it.

Steve Friedman
01-01-2014, 11:25 PM
There is a seller on the other wood site at: wood**t.net that just listed some the other day. If this post breaks any rules please delete it.

Isaac Smith - Blackburn Tools.

Great guy and a pleasure to deal with.

Steve