PDA

View Full Version : Zero Clearance Router Table Sub Fences

George Bokros
07-23-2013, 2:13 PM
Is anyone using zero clearance sub fences on their router table? I have started to make some for mine for the rail & Stile bits and the raised panel bit.

If you are using them did they improve the quality of your cuts?

Thanks

George

Keith Hankins
07-23-2013, 2:34 PM
I don't use those just get my adjustable fences (incra LS120) as close as I can. I've found for R&S and panel bits, it's better to have a backer and a simple sled and that solves the issue. On my Rails I keep them 3/16 wider than necessary and trim down (depending on pattern of course). Finally do end-grain first and long-grain last. Not had a bad one yet!. Here is a link to a pic of a real simple sled i made with ply and scrap wood. I used the bessey adjustable clamps. They are fantastic. For those narrow center rails with the pattern on both sides, I cut the negative into the backer board and reverse it to cut the other side. Works great.

http://flic.kr/p/ffyDoC

Good luck.

Joe Scharle
07-23-2013, 3:02 PM
I don't use one for cope & stick because the coping sled prevents diving in, but I do use one for my lock miter, slot cutter and drawer-lock bits. They're all on the same sub fence along with usage notes. Makes the setup for those bits simple.

pat warner
07-23-2013, 7:23 PM
They work. They should be made for every new cut as the z-axis setting will surely vary as the stock thickness does.
Be aware that burying the cutter into a sacrificial fence, can ruin it (the cutter)!
An unusual solution to tearout on some long or face grain profiles, but it does work.