PDA

View Full Version : How I learned to shellac knots

Frank Pellow
05-24-2005, 8:29 PM
Last year I stained well over 1000 board feet of rough sawn pine for the exterior of my shop. For the first 800 bf or so, I failed to put shellac on the knots before staining the boards. Later on, the knots bled through the stain making the job look terrible.

I learned about what I should have done in time for the boards on the west wall of the shop. The other 5 walls now need to be dealt with. Last week I put shellac on all the knots, so my shop now looks like it has the measles (see photo).

Now I get to stain the fascia and 5 walls. :( That should certainly reinforce the lesson. :o

Cecil Arnold
05-24-2005, 10:23 PM
Enough said, except Amen.

Karl Laustrup
05-25-2005, 6:33 AM
It's not contagious is it Frank? ;) :D

It appears from the picture that your shop sign, above the entry door, is crooked. Or is it an optical illusion?

Frank Pellow
05-25-2005, 6:56 AM
It appears from the picture that your shop sign, above the entry door, is crooked. Or is it an optical illusion?
Well spotted Karl. The sign is only held on with one screw and that screw was loose in the picture. I loosened it in preparation for the re-staining and, in fact, right now the sign if off the wall altogether.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-25-2005, 8:18 AM
Frank, it does look like your shop has the measels! You should make up a photo display of how you made your sick shop all better! :)

Karl Laustrup
05-25-2005, 8:34 AM
Well spotted Karl. The sign is only held on with one screw and that screw was loose in the picture. I loosened it in preparation for the re-staining and, in fact, right now the sign if off the wall altogether.

I didn't think a person of your caliber would allow something to be displayed askew. It is good to know that all is right with the world!!!:D Well, at least in Toronto. :) :D