PDA

View Full Version : Epilog rotary attachment skipping problem

mike klein
07-22-2013, 10:49 PM
I have engraved several of these JDS water bottles along with several other items on the Epilog rotary attachment over the last several months
and tonight its doing something I have never seen it do before. It gets to the same spot in the drawing and skips, leaving the black line
on the bottle. I have re-started both the laser and the computer and it still does the same thing. In the attached picture, there is another
object above the text which has the black line it it also, so the mark is going from the bottom of the engraving all the way to the top.

Anyone ever have this problem?

Mike267006

Steve Busey
07-23-2013, 8:13 AM
If it's the same spot each time, you might look to see if your file got corrupted somehow. Or try engraving a solid rectangle/band around the bottle to make sure it's not laser/rotary related.

mike klein
07-23-2013, 1:18 PM
Problem is the stepper motor on the rotary attachment. I have another rotary attachment I tried this morning and the image engraves fine with that one.

Neil Pabia
07-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Doesn't the epilog rotory use a servo motor? I had a problem where my motor was smoking, they sent out a replacement instantly.

mike klein
07-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Doesn't the epilog rotory use a servo motor? I had a problem where my motor was smoking, they sent out a replacement instantly.

I called Epilog tech support the other day with my problem and they called it a Stepper Motor and are sending me a new one.

Kim Vellore
07-24-2013, 12:14 PM
It uses a stepper motor and Epilog runs them with full power all the time even when it is idling which will heat up the motor, so when not using if you just leave it connected it will burn up soon. That's how it works on my 24TT. I put in a box between the motor and the cable which takes the signal from Epilog and a micro chip decodes and drives a different stepper driver which cuts back the holding current to 30% so I can use it for extended periods of time.

Kim

AL Ursich
07-24-2013, 4:19 PM
Kim,

WOW... Being a electronic guy..... would love to see more on the secondary Stepper setup... 30% is much more realistic....

Would make a nice posting or even a kit to sell...

Thanks,

AL