PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Saw question

Chris Hachet
07-22-2013, 5:25 PM
So I went with a friend yesterday to the Ohio Historical Society, and thjey had on display a re-creation of an 1890's wagon making shop, belt driven tools powered off of a steam boiler, all very well done. :) On a bench there was a tool box with two panel saws, not back saws, that looked like regular panel saws but they were very stubby, shorter than a standard Lie Nielson dovetail saw. Any idea what these two panel saws would ahve been used for? I am assuming some part of wagon building/coach building involves very short cuts through finished wood....sorry I didn't have my Camera with me at the time...:(

Jim Koepke
07-22-2013, 8:37 PM
n a bench there was a tool box with two panel saws, not back saws, that looked like regular panel saws but they were very stubby, shorter than a standard Lie Nielson dovetail saw. Any idea what these two panel saws would ahve been used for? I am assuming some part of wagon building/coach building involves very short cuts through finished wood

Maybe for cutting the wheel's spokes?

jtk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-22-2013, 8:58 PM
How tall were the plates? Could they have been used for gentle curves?

Chris Hachet
07-23-2013, 9:58 AM
How tall were the plates? Could they have been used for gentle curves?Plates were size of standard panel saw, or slightly smaller.

Chris Hachet
07-23-2013, 9:59 AM
Maybe for cutting the wheel's spokes?

jtkPossibly....this is as good of an answer as I can think of.

Winton Applegate
07-23-2013, 3:21 PM
Chris,

You have glimpsed a vary rare treasure there !
Those are Silmarillion Hobbit saws.
Because Hobbit folk's stature and arm length are considerably less than you and I and even the people of the period you spoke of, for a Hobbit to be able to cross cut or rip a shorter saw is more appropriate.
Look for symbols left in the metal of the saw by the Silvan Wood Elves of Mirkwood in elfin ruins. These only become visible under a full moon.

PS: How is it you don't have a camera in your phone. Homeless people in the US have phones with cameras. Nomadic herders in the Serengeti have cell phones with cameras. Being of even a lower and poorer life form than the two mentioned above I do not have a cell phone at all and yet . . .
. . . I always have my old and now embarrassingly out of date, iPod touch with me which has not only a camera but a freegin' movie camera.
well . . .
:(:confused::)