View Full Version : congratulations Alan Trout

charlie knighton
07-22-2013, 4:55 PM
back of the front cover, two page extradinaire, in American Woodturner

i was able to inspect some of his turnings in tampa, very impressive in person

never did see him, but again congratulations

BILL DONAHUE
07-22-2013, 5:54 PM
Congrats to Alan. The photos are terrific and I know what you mean about the book "500 Wooden Bowls." One can spend a lot of time with that book. More than one would spend reading as many pages of written words.

Scott Hackler
07-22-2013, 6:32 PM
Oh great! Now we won't get to talk to him because of all the groupies that will be swarming him for his picture! :) Great to see you get recognized for you cool pieces. See you in Waco.

BILL DONAHUE
07-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Oh great! Now we won't get to talk to him because of all the groupies that will be swarming him for his picture! :) Great to see you get recognized for you cool pieces. See you in Waco.
A few years ago I asked a famous woodturner (who I won't name without his permission) if there were many woodturning groupies. He had been telling me about having to do receptions at galleries in Los Angeles and Chicago. His reply was something like this, "oh yeah, there are a lot of woodturning groupies. The problem though, is that they're all old men."

Jeff Fagen
07-23-2013, 12:32 AM
After seeing his work in Minneapolis and having lunch with him I was an instant groupie.Good job Alan.

Alan Trout
07-23-2013, 9:00 AM
Thanks guy's,

I have not seen it yet. I usually get my magazine about 2 week after everyone else. But I do look forward to getting it. I am honored to have the chance to be in the magazine.

A few years ago I asked a famous woodturner (who I won't name without his permission) if there were many woodturning groupies. He had been telling me about having to do receptions at galleries in Los Angeles and Chicago. His reply was something like this, "oh yeah, there are a lot of woodturning groupies. The problem though, is that they're all old men."

This is funny but very true.

Michelle Rich
07-23-2013, 9:08 AM
Big congrats Alan..I love your colorful work

Steve Schlumpf
07-23-2013, 6:45 PM
Alan... just got my copy today... it is worth the wait! Beautiful work - as always! Extremely happy to see you get the recognition!!

bob svoboda
07-23-2013, 6:47 PM
A nice recognition. Congratulations, Alan!

Jeff Nicol
07-23-2013, 7:59 PM
Great Job Alan! I loved your work the very first time I saw it and when I got to meet you in St. Paul, it was a way to put a voice to the man and to hear his thoughts first hand! To see the pieces in person always helps fit the puzzle pieces together with the artist and at lunch that day we all shared our thoughts and ideas on what we each had learned through trial and error. With you doing all the great resin castings, it helped so many with their own dreams of using resin to create added beauty out of what is mostly was just junk without the resin to make it whole.

Congrats again and continued sucess,

Jeff

Marc Himes
07-24-2013, 8:46 AM
Congratulations Alan! Your work has been inspiring me for years. Great pictures in the AAW Journal. I am looking forward to what's next.

Marc

Doug Herzberg
07-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Just got my copy. Great stuff! Congratulations, Alan.