PDA

View Full Version : LaserCut Question

Mark Smith61
07-22-2013, 4:51 PM
I have a question about the use of LaserCut. Basically is there an easier way? To clarify, I've used it quite a bit over the last few months with both Aspire and with CorelDraw. Unless I'm doing something wrong, the way I have to draw my graphics is with outlines. Basically if I want to engrave just a straight line I can't just draw a line and engrave it, I have to draw a long thin box and then engrave between the lines. If I want to draw two lines that cross I have to draw two long boxes that cross and then go back into the intersection of my two long boxes and use the clip tool to remove the interior lines. I'd love to be able to just draw two lines of whatever thickness I want and just have the laser engrave them just like you would print to a printer. The more complex I'm getting with my graphics the more difficult it is to use this program like this. Am I doing this wrong? Is there an easier way?

Joe Hillmann
07-22-2013, 5:28 PM
I would assume there is an easier way but until someone points it out in corelDraw you can draw the line to the width you want then select all the objets and click convert outline to object. That still isn't easy but it is easier than how you are doing it now.

Mark Smith61
07-22-2013, 5:53 PM
I did not know that one Joe. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Mark Senior
07-22-2013, 7:16 PM
I don't have a laser as of yet but the software I've seen looks a bit clunky?

I'm surprised that someone has not looked into writing something newer/easier to use.

Phil Horne
07-22-2013, 11:13 PM
Cadlink has made a special version of Engravelab that works with the Leetro controler directly.. I just received mine today and will be putting it through its paces over the next week or so.. I sure hope its not a steaming pile of ... I guess almost anything will be better than LaserCut though..

John Bion
07-23-2013, 3:58 AM
Hi Phil,
Would be great to hear back from you once you have had some experience with the Cadlink. What CAD software are you using?
Regards, John

Phil Horne
07-23-2013, 5:41 PM
So far Im dead in the water... There is no manual for this version of engravelab and Im having all kinds of issues with it.... As I get things figured out Ill let everyone know.. It does not look like its quite ready for main stream at this point... Im hoping that they will have proper documentation and usability updates soon...

As to CAD software, Im not.. Im designing in either Illustrator or Corel Draw.

Christy Oates
07-25-2013, 5:09 PM
Mark, think of the engrave function as a burned "color fill" for enclosed shapes. If you want to engrave a single line, just use the "cut" function at lower power settings.

Jens Sogaard
09-04-2013, 12:11 PM
I have a question about the use of LaserCut. Basically is there an easier way? To clarify, I've used it quite a bit over the last few months with both Aspire and with CorelDraw. Unless I'm doing something wrong, the way I have to draw my graphics is with outlines. Basically if I want to engrave just a straight line I can't just draw a line and engrave it, I have to draw a long thin box and then engrave between the lines. If I want to draw two lines that cross I have to draw two long boxes that cross and then go back into the intersection of my two long boxes and use the clip tool to remove the interior lines. I'd love to be able to just draw two lines of whatever thickness I want and just have the laser engrave them just like you would print to a printer. The more complex I'm getting with my graphics the more difficult it is to use this program like this. Am I doing this wrong? Is there an easier way?

I have had the same issues Mark. Have been running Kern and Universal Lasers for years. I have been used to ease of operation with CorelDraw and the operational software of the two machines.Bought a Rabbit for home based business and am encountering the same issues you are talking about. Any new developments about how to do a simple raster engraving with some 2 or 3 point lines?