PDA

View Full Version : Recommended finish for bar railing

Mark Patoka
07-22-2013, 3:25 PM
I was chatting with a friend today and he is installing wainscotting and a poplar rail or shelf on the walls in his pool room/man-cave. This rail/shelf will be used to hold drinks, etc. I'm trying to give him a good recommendation for a finish coat that will be durable enough to hold up to the potential moisture issues from drink glasses as that is usually the biggest culprit to cause long-term problems here.

I've been searching through old threads but am still a little confused or just looking for what will work best in this situation.

Caveats: - must be a brush or wipe-on finish. Spraying is not an option.
- DIY skill level of the friend: he is the perfect target market for Minwax Polyshades. I'm really surpised he did not buy this stuff (thank goodness) even though he may have been happy with it.
- All wood has been stained Red Mahogany. He said he had a challenge with splotching and am not surprised when I heard he used poplar. This sounds like it was his first staining project also :eek:.
- Prefer a finish that he can purchase from either Borg or Sherwin-Williams. Products sold at Woodcraft store are also an option but I think Waterlox and such may be pricier than needed here.

He was going to use shellac as his topcoat. I'm not sure if the shellac will be sufficient though it may be good to use as a seal coat over the stain. It may be sufficient for the wainscotting though. From what found in my searches, SW FastDry Oil Varnish may be a good option. I have to see what is currently available at the Borgs. I have used Arm-R-Seal in the past but that can take quite a few coats to get a nice build. I know Poly should be out of the question.

I realize you have to pay for the best product but as you can see, I'm not sure that is necassarily recommended here. There has to be a good "consumer" alternative that will work. This is obviously not fine woodworking but I don't want him having issues that he'll be unhappy with in a few months of use.

I appreciate any recommendations. I'll also consult my Flexner book tonite.

Rich Engelhardt
07-23-2013, 7:27 AM
There has to be a good "consumer" alternative that will work.
Send him to either Home Depot or Lowes and have him pick up whatever flavor of pre-made wipe on satin or semi gloss poly they have.
That is the good consumer choice (not alternative).

Have him follow the directions on the can as far as application.

Best?
No - but - best for someone with only hours (not years or even months) of hands on experience.
That's the reason pre-made wipe on poly exists - to provide an inexperienced user the best balance between ease of use/application and acceptable looks/performance.