PDA

View Full Version : Tanning cherry in cutting board top

denis tuomey
07-22-2013, 8:13 AM
I've got a 24" x 36" x 2.5" edgegrain top finally glued up, 1/3 is cherry w/ walnut and sepele. The cherry is quite abit lighter, I know that the sun will darken it but my question is- If I place this in the sunlight to darken the cherry would there be a possibility of the top bowing/warping from the heat of 98-100 sunlight, anyone have any experience with tanning butcher blocks ?

Myk Rian
07-22-2013, 8:33 AM
If I place this in the sunlight to darken the cherry would there be a possibility of the top bowing/warping from the heat of 98-100 sunlight, ?
Yes. Let the cherry darken naturally.

Mark W Pugh
07-22-2013, 9:47 AM
I put a cherry test board out in the sun for a couple of hours for 3 days. It warped, but it did get some great color.

Jim Matthews
07-22-2013, 3:38 PM
A very dilute Chromate of Potash tincture (Potassium dichromate) will rapidly darken cherry.

You'll need a test sample, and a few dilutions to get close.
Allow THREE FULL DAYS between application and your choice.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=27343

My mentor uses this stuff to great effect when making repairs to antiques.

Andrew Hughes
07-22-2013, 3:52 PM
Don't put it in the sun. Not only will it warp it may split open in several areas.

Paul Symchych
07-22-2013, 3:58 PM
I frequently use cherry and have used cutoffs to make more cutting boards than I care to count.
For furniture, I oil it and put it out into our intense sunlight for several days to tan.
Cutting boards? I've never tanned them. Once oiled well w/mineral oil and in a fairly short period of time [indoors] the cherry comes around on it's own.