PDA

View Full Version : Projects from the last few days

Kathy Marshall
07-21-2013, 10:50 PM
It's been pretty hot and miserable here lately, but I've still taken the opportunity to spend some time in the shop.

On Thursday I cored a set of bowls from a blank of spalted sweet gum as practice for a coring demo that I did for our club meeting on Saturday. This set cored very easily and was probably the quickest coring I've done. It still needs a little more sanding and some oil, but it served it's purpose and the demo went well.
When I got home from the demo on Saturday I just wanted to turn something quick and easy, so I picked up a ratty looking mesquite blank. I just wanted to do a simple form, with no embellishments or fancy details and thought the bark inclusion would give it a little bit of interest.
It's about 8 1/2" x 3" and just has a single coat of Danish oil.
I recently received an Ashley Isles threading tool from my boyfriend (it's the one that does both the inside and outside threads), so today I decided to try it out and see if I could get anything close to working threads. I cut off a blank from some mesquite to practice on. I know mesquite is not the best wood for threading, but it's relatively hard and it met the prime requirement of being free (the best kind of wood for practice).
I turned a small box so that in addition to getting a feel for cutting the threads, I could also get a feel for sizing the tenon for a proper fit.
I didn't pay attention to form, wall thickness or grain alignment since my focus was simply on making threads, so the box is just a plain little box, but I got the hang of threading pretty quick and with a little more practice, I think I'll have it down pretty good.
It's 2 1/2" x 2" with just a coat of Danish oil.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Jon Lanier
07-21-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm so glad to hear that the threading went well! It's on my bucket list. My wife bought me the Ray Isles set with a Sorby thread gauge. I've been planning on taking some time to learn in August. I've heard it is a difficult thing to master and I'm hoping it's not. I personally think threads add a sense of elegance to boxes.

Harvey M. Taylor
07-22-2013, 5:36 AM
I do my threading on corian and adapt it to whatever I have hollowed. Works well.If I accidently get two starting threads after the threads are cut, I simply put the lathe in reverse and thread it backwards, to eliminate the unnecessary thread. Max

Jon Lanier
07-22-2013, 4:19 PM
I do my threading on corian and adapt it to whatever I have hollowed. Works well.If I accidently get two starting threads after the threads are cut, I simply put the lathe in reverse and thread it backwards, to eliminate the unnecessary thread. Max

That is a great idea. I've got a bunch of corian 2" tile squares I thought I'd practice on. Thought I'd glue them together to make small blocks.

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Kathy those all look great. I do like the lidded box. Really like the nested bowls.

Dennis Ford
07-23-2013, 11:27 AM
All look good. The nested bowl set is very impressive.