PDA

View Full Version : Name brand for this screw driver?

David Super
07-21-2013, 10:50 PM
This screwdriver, along with a few other items, came from a recent Northern Virginia estate sale. While I have seen and admired this old-school style of driver for a good long while, the sale was my first affordable opportunity to add one to my collection. I'm puzzled as to its source, however. From the attached photo you can see a distinctive marking near the blade. I welcome any information from Sawmill Creekers about this driver. I paid $2 for a mis-matched set of three, so my investment is modest. Is this one a keeper? I'm contemplating replacement of the wood parts on the handle, as the originals are worn and splintery. Thanks.

Joe Bailey
07-21-2013, 11:42 PM
generally known as a "perfect handle screwdriver" - though I've never seen one marked like yours. I think that at one point, Irwin took over the manufacture.
for a tutorial on replacement, go here: http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/pscott/sgrandstaff/awl.htm

Michael Ray Smith
07-21-2013, 11:49 PM
I believe "Perfect Handle" was a trademark of H.D. Smith & Co., the first (as far as I know) to make tools with handles like that. Others made them later, including at least one German company.

David Super
07-22-2013, 1:55 PM
Thanks for the info. I've read the blog post about reconditioning and installation of new handle scales. Doesn't seem all that difficult.

David Super
07-22-2013, 1:55 PM
Thanks for the swift response. The hunt is on to find more of this style.

Edward Mitton
07-22-2013, 3:48 PM
Here's a Chris Schwarz blog entry you might be interested in...
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/joinery/h-d-smith-screwdrivers-%E2%80%93-not-neighborly

There are also a couple good links on this blog entry.

I own one of these type of screwdrivers that has the word HERCULES stamped faintly on the shaft. From my research on this I found H.D. Smith's patent number 737.179 for design of the 'perfect handle'. The patent dates to 1913. If you go to the U.S. Patent website, you can even find the drawings for this type of handle.

This has quickly become my favorite screwdriver because it has such a nice heft and fit in the hand. Whenever I have a need to turn medium size wood screws, I reach for this one first. When I first acquired this tool it was in fairly sad shape. It needed to have the tip re-ground and a good amount of paint removed from the shaft. A little rub with some antique restorers fluid on the wood handle brought out a nice reddish brown hue, where before it was black and quite soiled. I think the handle might be rosewood - not quite sure.

The mark on your screwdriver looks more to me like an owner's identification punch rather than a maker's mark. I could be wrong, though. Maybe take a little 000 steel wool to the screwdriver shaft and see if you can bring out any type of stamped marking that is not readily visible.

This is the kind of thing that is fun with antique tools - finding their origin and history! Good luck with your search. Please let us know what you find.

Joe Bailey
07-22-2013, 4:54 PM
just one more thing ...
here is yet another link - http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/pscott/sgrandstaff/screwdrivers.htm
follow it and scroll down about halfway down the page to the spalted maple-handled screwdriver and check out the mark on the blade.

David Super
07-22-2013, 5:30 PM
Hello Joe,

Thanks for the additional information. My quest continues.

David Super
07-22-2013, 5:31 PM
Hello Ed,

My thanks to you and everyone else for all of this information and the links to helpful sites, et al. Now I've got to get crackin' on my project.

Bill Houghton
07-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Here's where you want to go for more information on perfect handle tools: http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php

Warning: you'll be sucked on to yet another slippery slope if you're not careful.

Ryan Mooney
07-23-2013, 1:08 AM
I found two of these and love them, best straight bladed screwdrivers I've ever used. Can't really explain exactly why but they just feel good.

I then made the mistake of hoping the Garret Wade remakes would be even close. Nope not even close. Don't bother with those.