PDA

View Full Version : Been looking for a Finnish axe head ...

Bryan Deel
07-21-2013, 4:05 PM
Greetings all, maybe this is not the right forum for this request, though I would like personal accounts of using this tool, also.

I have been looking for a Finnish Axe ever since seeing a video of some Finnish cabin builders, and they are impossible to find. I'm used to being able to find an old tool within days, weeks and, scarcely, months of deciding I have to have it-a year is maddening. If anyone knows of someone to contact about finding one I would be very grateful. Please pm me.
Included is a picture of a "common" Billnas axe (picture from Bodger's webpage), the geometry seems perfect for both chopping and carving.
. Thanks, Bryan

Bryan Deel
07-21-2013, 4:42 PM
Just saw sticky about solicitation. Post edited, sorry about that.

Chris Vandiver
07-22-2013, 1:48 AM
Heimo Roselli, Finnish axe and knife maker. Very excellent tools!

Oscar Wasström
07-22-2013, 2:26 AM
Hi Bryan! I live in Finland and if you're still interested in finding an axe i could keep my eyes open. If you
visit flea-markets regularly you will most definately find one around here. PM me if you're still interested.

Kim Malmberg
07-30-2013, 5:19 AM
Hi Bryan
I can help as well. If you can be more specific about the type of axe bit you're looking for it would be easier. I happen to have few spares, but they are felling bits like in your image. If you're looking for axes made specifically for shaping timber then I'm afraid they are worth a fortune and are rather difficult to find.

John Coloccia
07-30-2013, 6:53 AM
My wife is Finnish, actually. Many years ago, when her mom still lived in the USA (she's since moved back to Finland) her Finnish/Russian boyfriend was visiting. He put up a wall to make a little private apartment for her son. Well, he went into the garage, grabbed an an old axe and got to work (she has all sorts of random junk all over the place from various flea markets. I call it the "kirpputori gene"....her brother has it, and my wife has it as well). He used the axe for everything, including the drywall. A day or two later, the neighbor was over visiting. She showed him the wall the boyfriend had put up.

her: So what do you think of the new wall
neighbor: ***silence***
her: He did it with an axe...
neighbor: Oh, well in that case it's quite good.

Hilton Ralphs
07-30-2013, 9:00 AM
Lee Valley sells Gränsfors Axes (http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=20129&cat=2,44728,45794,20129)which are from Sweden. I know you want one from Finland but they are relatively close to each other.

Bryan Deel
08-05-2013, 9:24 PM
I want to send a big Thanks to Mr. Matthews. This is probably the finest axe I have ever swung. Thanks to your timely response, I was able to carve the handle and hang it while on vacation so it will be going to a Timber Framing workshop next week!

Jim Matthews
08-21-2013, 7:32 PM
Is that the traditional handle style?

I'm having some trouble with my favorite HELCO axe, the handle is narrow.
Gripping it aggravates my tennis elbow.