PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on sandpaper!

Sam Sayger
07-21-2013, 4:01 PM
I'm 73 years old and have used tons of sandpaper in my time but aside from the large belts and expensive "wheels of paper" I've never paid particular attention to the names of the paper I've used. My brother gave me a huge supply of "sticky back" rolls of paper many years ago and it has been so sufficient for me that I've not had to buy any rolls of paper whatever. My supply is just about used up and I'm going to need more paper and I don't want to just rush out and buy a lot of paper that may not suit my needs. I do some turning and I had a supply of 220, 320 and 400 in large rolls - and it was "light blue" in color - but I do NOT know the name!! Thought I'd have enough to last more than my lifetime - but having four grandsons who now are involved (heavily) in woodworking, my store of paper has dwindled seriously. I need some recommendations from some of you guys who know which brands serve best. The "blue" paper I had did a wonderful job and it didn't "load up" quickly as some papers do - so I guess it was an "open grit"?? Most of my work now is in the form of furniture and very little turning except for the occasional leg or whatever - but I do need to re-supply my cabinet with a good paper. I still use the "sticky-back" paper, having found that to be the most convenient for me. I have a couple of "hook and loop" but they don't fit my hand like the Makita "sticky" one - so that's what I'm looking to buy. Truly, I am looking for some help here. I need to order a full range of grits from 80 up to 400 I suppose. I have some 12-1400 which I use only for the little turning I do but that isn't very "typical" sanding and that paper "loads up" too quick for me to buy at this time.
Thanks
Sam Sayger

Dwight Rutherford
07-21-2013, 6:02 PM
Do a search within this forum for "sandpaper" or "best sandpaper". Lots of recommendations.

John Keeton
07-21-2013, 6:06 PM
Sam, I changed the title of this thread to help folks know what you are needing. I buy my sheet sandpaper from here - http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/abrasive-sheets.html The quality is excellent and the price is very good. I buy the AO paper for 150, 220 and 320, and the silicon carbide for 400 and up.

For power sanding - 2" discs, I buy from Vince Welch, and get his blue discs. http://vinceswoodnwonders.com/