PDA

View Full Version : Securing Workbench top

John Cooper2
07-21-2013, 2:32 PM
Hello,

Made a simple workbench for my hobby room and have a question about securing the top surface.

It is two layers of 1" thick MDF with an oak boarder to keep the top (masonite) from wondering off of the top.

Will it lay flat over time or should I put a few nails in it to get it to lay down?
I don't want to glue it down as I expect the masonite will need replaced down the road. The idea was to make it an easily replaced top when this one gets messed up.

Thanks for any ideas

Howard Acheson
07-21-2013, 2:53 PM
Double faced carpet tape around the perimeter will work fine. A few dabs of hot melt glue around the edge will work also. Another option are small brass flat head wood screws. Just be sure they are set below the top surface so they don't scratch anything.

Mike Cozad
07-21-2013, 8:15 PM
I went old school electronics bench top on mine and have it secured with nylon countersunk 1/4-20 screws and T-nuts...

Robert Delhommer Sr
07-22-2013, 7:31 AM
Small flat head screws. :)

Prashun Patel
07-22-2013, 8:35 AM
I didn't secure mine. It hasn't moved. The only thing to beware about is that over time, around the edges, dust can get in there which eventually can cause the top not to sit flush. All that means is you might have to lift and sweep/vaccuum every couple months.

John Cooper2
07-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Well this morning it is sitting down better, may have to give it a day or two to make a final decision on weather to secure it or not.

Really like the idea of brass or nylon to secure it, don't want it to snag on anything so counter sinking is a must

Thanks for the thoughts