PDA

View Full Version : Which spray adhesive is best for Scary Sharp?

Russell Cook
07-21-2013, 6:13 AM
Hi all,

I'm thinking of having a go at Scary Sharp, and was hoping to get some tips for precisely which spray adhesive to use to hold the paper down.

The other day I used 3M's no.67 spray adhesive when I used sandpaper to lap a stone. It held the paper in place well, but I found that having finished I was able to pull the sandpaper off, with out using a knife or anything to help me.

I had given the glue an hour or so to dry.

Prashun Patel
07-21-2013, 7:59 AM
If you are using glass or granite as your substrate, i would just spritz the back of the paper with water and let the surface tension keep it in place. You will be surprised how well that works.

glenn bradley
07-21-2013, 8:18 AM
I use a mild spray adhesive. The fact that you could peel it off easily is a good thing later when it is time to change abrasives. As long as the abrasive stayed put while you were using it, its fine.

Jim Matthews
07-21-2013, 10:53 AM
I use 3M 77.

After a couple of sheets applied,
I scrape off the adhesive build up.

I must be using cheapo paper, because water leaves the backing soft and prone to tear.

PS - If using a spray adhesive, turn the spray can upside down and let a little propellant clean the orifice.
Otherwise, be prepared to wipe down the spray button with solvent to clear the dried adhesive in the itty-bitty hole.

bill tindall
07-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Water works with the 3M black paper. If water doesn't work for you then use the stuff artists use for tacking art work. It is called "repositional" adhesive. The 3M product is called "3M Remount". Art stores have it and maybe hobby stores will have it too.

Russell Cook
07-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice.

Re using water, does that method rely on a perfectly flat sheet of abrasive? The sheets I have are flattish, but I'm concerned water may fail to stick them to the surface.

I think the glue I have must be similar to the "remount" Bill mentioned. It is easy to take off, and the glue left on the glass can be removed by leaving a vinegar soaked towel on top for a few minutes then rubbing with a rag.

Well, next time I have a chance I'll give both methods a go. :)

Kevin Bourque
07-21-2013, 12:26 PM
I either use water, or spray adhesive sprayed very sparingly. It doesn't take much to hold the paper in place.

Thomas Hotchkin
07-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Look for some PSA paper. Works very well with scary Sharp System, and sand paper can be reused, if needed. Tom

Prashun Patel
07-21-2013, 4:53 PM
It is more important that your substrate be flat. When the blade pushes over the paper, it will push it down and eliminate any air bubbles - if there are any bubbles. I used Scary sharp for a year or two, and the water adhesive worked just fine for me.

Grant Wilkinson
07-22-2013, 9:48 AM
Double sided carpet tape??

Ole Anderson
07-22-2013, 11:52 PM
I use 3M PSA rolls from the automotive paint store. Otherwise I spray it with 3M #77.

Keith Hankins
07-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Hi all,

I'm thinking of having a go at Scary Sharp, and was hoping to get some tips for precisely which spray adhesive to use to hold the paper down.

The other day I used 3M's no.67 spray adhesive when I used sandpaper to lap a stone. It held the paper in place well, but I found that having finished I was able to pull the sandpaper off, with out using a knife or anything to help me.

I had given the glue an hour or so to dry.

Not read all the reply's but I used that method for a while and used soapy water! Just spritz a little on a piece of granite and suction would form on the paper and surface holding it in place. I bought a cheap 99c plant spay bottle and one drop of dawn to a bottle. Never failed, and nothing to scrape off when done. I started with 3m spraytac, but hated the scraping off the gunk. Someone said try just the water and bam, never looked back.