PDA

View Full Version : My first stock feeder... and a gloat.

Mike Schuch
07-21-2013, 3:12 AM
I picked up a 1hp 3ph Delta 3 wheel stock feeder with 4 extra tires for $250 off of craigslist this morning. I spotted it on craigslist about 4 weeks ago for $300 but didn't have the cash to purchase it at that time. Pay day was yesterday so I called and was shocked to find it still available last night! I went over there this morning and bargained it down to $250. To top the sweet deal off I met a couple of really cool wood workers. The guy I purchased the feeder from rents shop space from the other. Both really nice guys that were happy to show me around their shop.

Man is this power feeder HUGE! Much bigger than I was expecting! The only stock feeder I have used (at a class I took) must have been a 1/4hp model. I was planing on mounting it on my Walker Turner 3hp 3ph gear head shaper but after seeing how large the stock feeder is I decided I had better mount it on my 7.5hp 1ph Sunhill sliding table shaper due to the extra weight and wider stance of its feet. I am looking forwards to getting it mounted and running tomorrow. I will run it off my rotary phase converter for now... or I might borrow the VFD off the Walker Turner shaper until I can afford to order a 1hp VFD to dedicated to the Power feeder.

Now I just need to figure out a shaping job to give the feeder a good shake down once it is up and running.

Peter Quinn
07-21-2013, 8:59 AM
Nice find Mike. A stock feeder is a good find, especially at that price. I have one 3 phase feeder, I just bumped another plug off the RPC circuit, runs fine on a 10HP RPC with a 7HP shaper simultaneously. A VFD might be nice to get more variable speed if its a 4 speed, mine is 8 speed which give me plenty of range for almost anything. Happy shaping!

Stephen Cherry
07-21-2013, 9:25 AM
I have that feeder also, which I bought at the height of the financial crisis for a ridiculously low price. Those deals have happily come and gone though, so you got a great deal for today's economic situation.

I have mine on a delta hd shaper, which is OK, but it does get a little tippy if the arm is swung backwards. with the arm in position to feed, it is just fine, even if it looks like a giant feeder on a mini shaper. Plus that feeder is light enough that it could be lifted and moved from machine to machine. (after a bowl of Wheaties)

Mike Schuch
07-21-2013, 4:23 PM
I have been looking at VFD options. I like the idea of the Teco JNEV-101-H1 (http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?cID=0&PID=4705) which is 110v in / 220v 3ph out so I could run it on a 110V plug. I really like the built in rheostat on this Teco for speed control. My concern is the current draw of the TECO. The manual says 4.2 amps drive current. This must be 4.2 max amps on each of the 3 legs of 220V. Since a fully loaded 1hp 115v motor will draw in the neighborhood of 16amps I am assuming that the TECO is going to be drawing close to 20 amps. That doesn't leave ANY room on my 12 gauge 20amp 110v circuits.

So I am thinking a better way to go would be a 220v 1ph / 220V 3ph VFD. I am thinking of mounting a 220V junction box with a plug for the VFD on my shaper. This way I won't have to have two power cords running across the shop to contend with. Any feedback on my thinking?

I really like this idea of also being able to use the power feeder on my Jointer and Table saw. Do you guys just buy extra mounting bases for your extra machines?

You are correct about the Wheaties! I usually think my big purchases out of the truck (slide, rock, lever them out). After staring at the Power feeder in the back of my truck for 5 minutes and making a quick attempt to separate the feeder from the arm I decided to just brute force it into my shop. It was doable but breaking the load in half would make it much easier to move around the shop. Is there an quick and easy way to separate the feeder from the arm? ... I am going off to search for a manual now...

jack forsberg
07-21-2013, 7:11 PM
Mike the 4.2 amps is the output 3 phase on each leg of the 120 unit. If the motor plate FLA (full load amps is this or less it will work just fine. Can't remember what maker but you can get a 120 unit for 1.5 hp if your after a 120 volt set up with a higher out put 3 phase.

http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/LEESON-174266/

Your feeder is powered by a single speed 1 hp 240 volt 3 phase motor so not a problem to run on a VFD but the 4 wheel delta is a 2 speed motor so it like 2 motors in one . You can run 2 speed motors to run with a VFD but the cheep temco are not the ones to get. lots of feeds have 4 speed motors that can be run on vfd too but need to can be programmed to handle 4 motor amp draws on the fly. Most just run them off a RPC or Phase perfect(vfds without the variable frequency) type systems.

jack
English machines

Stephen Cherry
07-21-2013, 8:24 PM
I really like this idea of also being able to use the power feeder on my Jointer and Table saw. Do you guys just buy extra mounting bases for your extra machines?

One thing I have done is to position the small shaper at the back of the jointer, clamp the shaper to the jointer, and swing the feeder arm over to the jointer outfeed table. This could also be done with a table saw.

Mike Heidrick
07-22-2013, 7:05 AM
If you decide you want extra base/s let me know. I have two extra 1hp delta bases.

The 220 split works well.

Jeff Duncan
07-22-2013, 9:53 AM
I think a lot of guys play around with the idea of moving feeders between machines.....and then they try it once or twice:o Those things are heavy as your finding out. Moving them around is something your not likely to want to do all that often. I have holes in my table saws out feed with inserts all setup for my feeder.....I've used them twice in the last 5 years or so. Every time I think I'd like to set it up I start looking at it and it's just not worth it.....to me. Of course if your the type that likes moving big, heavy, awkward things around......well then go for it:D

Most shops I've been in run the feeder off of the same line as the shaper. Feeders don't require a whole lot of amperage and so usually guys will just attach a separate box on the side of the shaper and plug the feeder in.

good luck,
JeffD

Rod Sheridan
07-22-2013, 9:54 AM
I also often swing the feeder from the saw/shaper over to the jointer..............Rod.

Peter Quinn
07-22-2013, 10:16 AM
You can often tap the back edge of the joiner base to mount an angle iron to which a base can be mounted, if the jointer is stout. I'm thinking 8" minimum to hang a feeder off the back. I don't see the advantage really unless you are doing huge production, in which case a dedicated "jointer feeder" might make more sense. I do use a feeder on my TS occasionally, so my tables are tapped for that. The best way to separate the feeder for me as at the yoke which joins motor to arm. I lower the feed wheels parallel to the base, lock the screw handles roughly so things stop moving, then separate the motor/drive train wheel mechanism from the two arm XY base. I can more easily hoist motor and arms up to a shaper top alone that way. Then I built a rolling cart that is roughly table top height for all the machines which share the feeder....have never picked it up since.