PDA

View Full Version : Need test tube alternative

Phil Thien
07-21-2013, 12:18 AM
I'm going to be cold-bluing some pieces, and I'd like to submerge then. They are long (about 7") and thin (about 5/8" round). A 200mm test tube would probably be ideal, in that it would waste the least amount of Oxpho-Blue, but I don't want to spend $8 to have test tubs shipped in.

Any products come in a package or contained similar to an 8" long test tube of approx. 1" in diameter?

Clear is a plus as I can see how the Oxpho-Blue is working (aids in knowing when it is time to come out).

Rich Engelhardt
07-21-2013, 5:42 AM
Any products come in a package or contained similar to an 8" long test tube of approx. 1" in diameter?
Green olives come packed in jars like that. I don't know if they're that long though.
You could also score around the neck of a glass bottle and heat the score line w/a torch.
(just google cutting a glass bottle.)
Miller High Life is packaged in clear glass 12 ounce bottles. ;)

Paul Saffold
07-21-2013, 6:51 AM
Cigar tubes, but not clear. Various sizes depending. Check with a decent tobacco (oxymoron) retailer.

HANK METZ
07-21-2013, 7:49 AM
PVC pipe, cut to length desired, cap one end. I usually look for such stuff on trash day, put my findings up on a wall, waiting for a use just like this.

- Beachside Hank
Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Keith Westfall
07-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Flower shop vases... Seen some that have tubes 1" to 2" dia.

Lornie McCullough
07-21-2013, 4:12 PM
Devotional candles, perhaps from the dollar store?? The one in front of me is 8 inches tall, and close to 1.75 inches diameter.

Lornie

Curt Harms
07-22-2013, 7:16 AM
Clear vinyl(?) tubing & cork/seal each end? I'm not familiar with Oxpho-Blue so don't know its chemical properties. Our Ace hardware sells clear tubing by the foot up to 1" or more diameter.

Jacob Reverb
07-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Ziploc bags?

Phil Thien
07-22-2013, 4:08 PM
I had other stuff to order from McMaster anyhow, so I ordered a polycarbonate tube of 3/4" I.D. (7/8" O.D.) and 12" long for $2.71. I'll plug one end with a cap and give it a shot.

I really should have tried the dollar store (as suggested).