PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Finding File Handle Hardware

Fred Herrington
07-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Guys,

I've been getting into using an the lathe and wanted to make handles for my files as a practice project. Trouble is I can't find ferrule hardware sold seperately anywhere. Would like to reinforce the handle a bit, rather then just seat the tang in raw wood. Am I missing something? I can't seem to find them on the usual sites...

thanks,
Fred

Roger Chandler
07-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Use a copper pipe coupling from a plumbing supply.........I have used the 1" and 1.25" and cut them in half........depending on the diameter of the gouge I was putting in the handle..........they work just fine and are cheaper than the brass ones you order from a woodturning specialty store, and work just as well.

Sid Matheny
07-20-2013, 11:50 PM
If you are talking about the file handles that have thread to screw the file into, I have never seen kits for those. Hope someone can help as I would like to find these kits also.

Sid

Dale Gillaspy
07-21-2013, 9:22 AM
Craft Supplies sells them, but I agree with Roger. I use a copper pipe fitting. Works great. I have also cut splines down the ferrule "tenon" on the bandsaw, then used a hose clamp as a ferrule. When you loosen it, you can take the steel out of the handle for easy transport and sharpening.

Mike Peace
07-21-2013, 9:29 AM
Is there some faucet in the house SWMBO wants swapped out? I had to swap out the kitchen faucet and wound up with more brass ferrule pieces than I will use anytime soon, from threaded pipe to compression fittings. Most not big enough for a large bowl gouge but plenty big for small tools, files and awls. Here is an article that illustrates http://mikepeacewoodturning.blogspot.com/2012/02/elegant-awls.html

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2013, 11:09 AM
I do the same as the others. I get 1" copper couplers, cut them in half and install.

Fred Herrington
07-21-2013, 8:17 PM
thanks guys, I'll give that a try. Its nice when there's a pragmatic solution.

Jamie Donaldson
07-21-2013, 8:23 PM
I've always used aluminum pipe in a variety of sizes, readily available, cheap, and the silver color matches the color scheme of my tool steels, except for the black Thompsons!;)