PDA

View Full Version : Almost finished with my Veritas equipped bench

Bill Wyko
07-20-2013, 9:41 PM
The first pic is actually one of the final touches. in either side of the tool trays there is a box to hold the bench dogs. The angle is to make sweeping the tool tray easier. There will be curly maple lids upon completion. More pics as soon as I'm done, probably next week. I feel the bench is always at the core of the workshop, if I'm going to work at it for the rest of my life, might as well use the best vises & make it easy on the eyes.:D

Keith Bohn
07-20-2013, 11:09 PM
The dark wood, bubinga/kevazingo?

Paul Murphy
07-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Bill, I sure do admire your workbench! It will put a smile on your face every day you use it.

Bill Wyko
07-20-2013, 11:52 PM
You got it, Bubinga. It's what i had around the shop. Thanks guys. I have to say, I find myself being much more careful not to get glue on it, not to bang it up and so much more. Definitely treating it much better than my other work surfaces. Now if I can do that with more stuff around the shop. On another note, I was cutting a piece of 8/4 Bubinga 10 inches wide on my Kapex, it stopped it cold in its tracks, took about 10 minutes to get it off the blade. When Bubinga moves, there's no stopping it.

Peter Quinn
07-21-2013, 9:12 AM
Beautiful. Your work bench is more attractive than most of my furniture! Kudos on more fine work.

Jim Matthews
07-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Details about the "ashtray" with the ramp, please.

You put some effort into making it; what is it for?
+1 on your bench being prettier than my furniture.

Bill Wyko
07-21-2013, 7:23 PM
I glued 2 pieces of 4/4 to either side of a piece of 8/4 then mitered the 3 sides. Once dry, I cut the taper on the band saw to make the taper. The rounded outer side was done by flush cutting into the groove that was in the end cap for the bench tops mortise & tenon. I felt that made for a nice little detail. I did a rabbit inside the pocket to accommodate a flush curly maple lid yet to be built.