PDA

View Full Version : Infill plane dating info?

Dan Forman
05-24-2005, 5:14 PM
I recently aquired a Spiers infill smoothing plane, am trying to get a handle on its age. Does anyone know of any sources of info on how to date them? Google was not much help. I was unable to get through to the Shepherd guys, but will try them later. An online source would be nice. Will post a pic when I get time.

Dan

Doug Evans
05-24-2005, 7:17 PM
Does the lever cap screw have a nipple?

Are the sidewalls riveted or screwed?

There are a number of forms of the Spiers name one the lever cap. One of the latest is the script name with the lying-down thistle... Also if the name is in caps, is it upside down or right-side up?

Earlier planes would have had coarse threads verses square threads of most types.

Also earlier levers were quite long and thin.

What are the markings on the iron?

Is the double iron stamped frontside and does the number on the back of the double iron or the iron match the number stamped into the wooden frog?

For starters...

Doug

Dan Forman
05-24-2005, 8:59 PM
Doug,

Thanks for responding.

The piece is as I received it. The tote is broken horizontally, about halfway down into the groove in the rear infill. It was screwed back together from the bottom at some point, rather crudely I might add. I plan to epoxy it back together, filling the screw hole with epoxy as well. Any comments on that? I bought it as a "user", not as a collectors piece, though I don't want to do anything to lower it's value either.

Here are the answers to your questions (for starters), along with some pics. Hope this clears things up a bit.

Lever cap nipple: yes

Sidewalls: riveted

Name in caps : SPIERS
AYR right side up as looking from the front.

Coarse threads or square?: Look like square.

Iron, on top, on front side: In an arc over what appears to be a human figure it says "HEARNSHAW BROS" At the base it says
"CAST STEEL
SHEFFIELD"

Capiron has a 3. on the back which matches the stamp on the wooden frog where it is grooved to receive the capiron screw.

The capiron has a series of markings: "W W, something which appears to be an anvil, P" Under that, in an arc, is stamped "WARD", and beneath that is stamped" SOLID STEEL
WARRANTED". It actually was stamped twice, as you will see in the pic. (No, you didn't have too many Crown Royals)

Dan

Doug Evans
05-24-2005, 10:52 PM
Stew was in his prime when that plane was built. He died in 1899. The fron bun was probably wacked a few times as it appears to be cut down a bit and the brass striker was added a little later. The original iron was a WARD and you may want to verify that the Hearnshaw iron is fit correctly. It could be a tapered iron... What it the throat opening?

Also, the rear spur looks like it was clipped a bit. Otherwise looks pretty good.

Cheers,

Doug

Dan Forman
05-25-2005, 3:23 AM
Doug,

The iron is 3/16" thick for most of it's length, but it is 2 1/8" wide on the flat surface, and more like 2 1/16" on the beveled side. Is that what you meant by tapered? Is that bad? It does look like the mouth is about 1/64" wider at the front than the back. The iron has a 20 degree bevel on it now, I assume that is not as it should be. Is 30 degrees the correct bevel?

The throat opening is 5/16" by 2 1/8". With the blade even with sole there is a gap of 0.024" (feeler gauge held perpenciular to the sole), at what should be cutting depth closer to 0.014.

From what little I could find on the web, the Hearnshaw Bros were better known as chisel makers. Do you know what sort of reputation the "John Bull" plane irons had?

Should I consider getting a new iron? I see that your smallest is 2 1/4", but Hock makes a 2 1/8" infill blade that is 3/16 thick, available in carbon or A2 steel.

You are correct that the rear spur has been altered.

Thanks so much for your help.

Dan