PDA

View Full Version : A B-Day Gift For My Son

James Combs
07-20-2013, 5:59 PM
My Son saw a previous rebar (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?188255-Another-Use-For-Rebar&highlight=rebar) pen I had made and asked if I could make him one as a pencil.

Somehow in a way that I don't completely understand he uses a lead pencil as a test device on newly manufactured Toyotas. I told him sure and here is the result.

3/8" rebar with only a polished and waxed finish.

Before drilling it, I turned the "blank" down to expose bare metal on all of the little raised features and to give the pen a smoother feel. I turn them down to about 0.004 to 0.006 above the valley floors. The bumps are still detectable but not obtrusive. It also gives them a nice highlighting shine. I drilled it to match the ID of a 7mm tube then simply installed Propel Pencil hardware in 0.5mm lead size. In drilling it I drill it from both ends because I don't have a drill long enough. I keep my fingers cross that the two drillings meet concentrically in the center.

266803 266802

266801 266804

C&C Welcomed.

John Keeton
07-20-2013, 6:50 PM
Pretty cool, JD! I bet it has some "heft" to it!

Thom Sturgill
07-20-2013, 7:12 PM
That is amazing. I'm sure he will love it.

Allan Ferguson
07-20-2013, 7:33 PM
I do like that!

James Combs
07-20-2013, 9:13 PM
Pretty cool, JD! I bet it has some "heft" to it!
Thanks John, yes it tends to the heaver pen side but not dramatically so. At 3/8" and drilled through with a 1/4" drill, that only leaves 1/16" of wall thickness. Plus as I noted in the OP the little nubs are turned down to just a few thousands tall which reduces some of the weight as well.

That is amazing. I'm sure he will love it.
Thanks Thom, sent him some email pics. Says he will be here to pick it up ASAP.:cool:

I do like that!
Thanks Allan.

Eric Gourieux
07-21-2013, 1:28 AM
That's really cool. I wonder if it will rust?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-21-2013, 1:34 AM
Simply gorgeous!

Jim Burr
07-21-2013, 9:45 AM
That's the same rebar used to bury Jimmy Hoffa! Well done as always!

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2013, 11:12 AM
That is a beauty JD and he is going to love it.

James Combs
07-21-2013, 11:32 PM
That's really cool. I wonder if it will rust?
Thanks Eric, my assumption was that it would rust but the similar pen I made in June of 2012 is still around and still shiny and I haven't done anything else to it:cool:.

Simply gorgeous!
Thanks Ken.

That's the same rebar used to bury Jimmy Hoffa! Well done as always!
Hey Jim, you know, I was wondering why the piece of concrete I dug it out of had so much "boney" looking rock in it.:eek:

That is a beauty JD and he is going to love it.
Thanks Bernie, sent him a few pics of it, He can't wait to get it so he is coming down to pick it up rather then wait till my next visit.:cool:

Eric Holmquist
07-22-2013, 5:25 AM
Great job, I've made several re-bar pens, but never thought to turn down the bumps, great idea!

James Combs
07-22-2013, 8:49 PM
Great job, I've made several re-bar pens, but never thought to turn down the bumps, great idea!
Thanks Eric, I like the look it gives the pen plus I can't imagine trying to hold it with all the bumps at their original height.

Jeff Nicol
07-23-2013, 9:27 PM
Very neat idea, I guess there are very few limits on what can be made into a pen! Now I will have to give that a try and maybe use my new to me South Bend 9" metal lathe I bought a few months ago.

Jeff