PDA

View Full Version : craigslist or ebay for selling tools?

Jim Barstow
07-20-2013, 3:55 PM
I've got a Inca bandsaw and table saw that I want to sell but I'm not sure if I should use craigslist or ebay. Any
idea on which is the better venue for selling tools?

Bruce Page
07-20-2013, 3:59 PM
I'd go with your local CL first. Shipping either of those to an eBay buyer would be a headache.
Of coarse you could become a Contributor and try selling them here.

Jamie Buxton
07-20-2013, 4:01 PM
I think of ebay as a place to look for stuff that can be easily shipped from anywhere to anywhere -- like hand tools. I think of Craigslist as a place to look for stuff that really should be picked up in person -- like table saws or cars.

Kevin Bourque
07-20-2013, 4:02 PM
Why not try Sawmill Creek?

Jeff Monson
07-20-2013, 4:49 PM
CL for sure if you are in an area with population. The biggest thing to consider with CL is that its totally free, you have nothing to loose advertising there.....except a little sanity dealing with some of the calls.

Joseph Tarantino
07-20-2013, 6:42 PM
IMHO, CL if you want to maximize your proceeds. many more ill informed wanna be woodworkers willing to overpay for tools.

Mark Engel
07-20-2013, 7:44 PM
Craigslist for sure. The downside to CL is you don't get as many potential customers.

With eBay you get a much larger set of potential customers, at a cost.
On eBay you will pay ~10% of the final selling price, including shipping cost, plus another 1.9%-2.9% to PayPal. If you are going to list on eBay, adjust your prices accordingly.

Duane Meadows
07-20-2013, 8:26 PM
And you CAN list on eBay as local pickup only!

johnny means
07-20-2013, 8:42 PM
Ebay isn't what it used to be. You'll be competing with way to many corporations. Without a seller rating of 50,000+ a lot of buyers won't consider you. The current retail nature of Ebay has ruined it as the place for small sellers.

Kevin Adams
07-20-2013, 9:21 PM
Jim, I agree with the others on Craigslist. If you didn't know this, there is also an Inca Yahoo site where people do look for machines to purchase. You might give that a shot, too. I once owned quite a bit of Inca tools, but am down to my trusty 10.5" bandsaw that I just can't get myself to sell as it is so good. I do have a need for a larger one and may get there at some point.

Good luck,
Kevin

Scott Haddix
07-20-2013, 9:35 PM
I have bought and sold numerous woodworking machines on Craigslist and would go that route. But, I evaluate each email I get as a seller carefully before I ever respond, and if something doesn't feel right, I will simply ignore the email. I won't invite anyone to the house until I've researched them and gotten comfortable they are legitimate. I have had someone try and give me a $13k fake cashiers check for a piano I was selling on CL and I discovered it by seaching the name of the bank on Google and saw it was having tons of counterfeit checks, so be carefu.

Ben Kiefer
07-21-2013, 2:07 AM
There is an Inca user group on the Yahoo groups. You'll need to join in order to post.

It will sell quickly there.