PDA

View Full Version : Buying Cheap Used Routers?

Keith Kelly
07-19-2013, 12:20 PM
I've recently been getting into woodworking, and I'm getting quite annoyed with the process of changing router bits. Goal: make the process a bit more natural.

The routers I have are:
* Good Hitachi, with a difficult bit changing mechanism (I have this mounted in a router table)
* Cheap Skil "Classic" plunge router

I'm seeing on Craigslist and eBay a bunch of Craftsmans that are selling for around $30-50. I'm going today to a coworker's house who's selling an old Craftsman router + old router table + old base for $50. Since I am content with the cheap Skil, I'm not too worried about getting 2 more cheapish used routers to add to my collection.

Advice? What should I be cautious of when buying used routers? Or, would you recommend going a completely different direction?

Harvey Melvin Richards
07-19-2013, 12:28 PM
I have a very trashed cheap Skil (was used to trim drywall) and a cheap Craftsman among my many routers. They really aren't worth using except on very rare occasions. I also have a very old Montgomery Wards router. It was made by Stanley, so my Bosch accessories fit it, and it does get used, although not very often.

The main thing to consider, is how are you using the router, and what accuracy are you looking for. Noise level can also be an issue.

Joe Hillmann
07-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Some of the craftsmans from the early 90's or so have a no tools depth adjustment that looks slick but in actual practice is it very difficult to use with any accuracy at all. Also when mounted in a table the same style router tends to be easily deflected when cutting. Even with those problems you can still do quality work with them it just makes them difficult to set up and you have to be careful not to put too much pressure on the bit when you are cutting.

Jay Rasmussen
07-19-2013, 1:12 PM
Another option for you Keith,
Factory recon PC for 125 bucs. I have had great luck with my PC's.

http://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-reconditioned-porter-cable-9690lrr-1-3-4-peak-hp-router/pcbr9690lrr,default,pd.html?start=15&cgid=porter-cable-routers-and-trimmers

Routers: the more the merrier

Jay

Mike Henderson
07-19-2013, 1:18 PM
Routers come up on Craiglist pretty often around here, and sometimes they're in decent condition. Maybe the sale is an estate clearance or someone getting out of the business, or whatever. Personally, I'd look for a deal on a decent quality router. You don't have to buy a bunch all at once. Most of us wind up with a number of routers because, over time, we run into deals that are too good to pass up.

That said, I have an old, fairly inexpensive Ryobi trim router that I use a fair amount because I leave the same bit in it so it's ready to go. But trim routers are not stressed like full sized routers.

And finally, one more thing. Many old Craftsman routers were 1/4" shaft (only). You sure want a 1/2" shaft on a full sized router.

Mike

pat warner
07-19-2013, 1:41 PM
Windows 98 or Win7 or 8?
Which would you choose?

Keith Kelly
07-19-2013, 1:54 PM
Thanks all. Honestly, even one router would help quite a bit, so maybe instead of buying 2 cheap ones, maybe I get 1 that's decent. Both of mine are plunge, so maybe a single good fixed base model would be perfect.

The coworker's husband just offered me 2 routers + some other things for a pretty good price, so even if it's not something I stick with for long term, I'll do some research on the models, and if it's a deal too good to pass up, worst case would be that I can use them for a bit (no pun intended) and resell them.

1/2" shaft... but I have 1/4" bits :) (got the Skil 30pc set for on sale for $49 at Lowe's back when I first borrowed a router and wanted to learn). But, you bring up a good point. Since I am now aware of how to use a router (in some ways), and am buying new bits to actually make things instead of play, now's probably the time I ought to start transitioning to 1/2".

Keith Kelly
07-19-2013, 2:04 PM
Windows 98 or Win7 or 8?
Which would you choose?

Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. But Windows 2000 was really a remarkable OS.

Operating systems are to process all the junk we throw at them and try to get from them. The stuff we expect it to process is generally greatly increasing in complexity.

Routers are to process wood.

I'm not saying all routers are the same, but I just wanted to give you a virtual, friendly, punch in the gut for the goofy analogy :)

Mel Fulks
07-19-2013, 2:17 PM
Joe, if your router is hard to adjust move the dangling burned out light out of the way.

William McRae
07-19-2013, 2:54 PM
Check out this Grizzly offer

http://www.grizzly.com/products/T22091?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=T22091

Mike Cutler
07-19-2013, 3:08 PM
Keith

Cheap routers are exactly that. Cheap! Finding a good deal on a quality router is one thing, but just buying cheap, junkie, Sears routers is another all together.
Buy a pair, yes a pair, of nice, quality routers and you'll not regret it. You will also do better work with them, and the changing of the bit shouldn't be so annoying.

Mike Henderson
07-19-2013, 3:10 PM
1/2" shaft... but I have 1/4" bits :)
Essentially all 1/2" routers also have a 1/4" collet. Some bits you'll want to use in your router really have to be 1/2" shank. The 1/4" is just too weak for them.

If you get a router that accepts 1/2" bits, you can use your 1/4" bits (with the 1/4" collet) and you can upgrade to 1/2" bits. If you buy a router that only takes 1/4" bits, you'll be stuck with 1/4" forever.

Mike

Ron Kellison
07-19-2013, 4:41 PM
I have had 4 Craftsman routers through the years. I still have a couple stuck in a dark corner until I get around to listing them on Craigslist for $20 apiece. EVERY 1/4" router (3) had the same issue: The collet was turned on the end of the motor shaft and, when they started to slip, there was nothing I could do about it because you can't replace the collet. Nothing makes you want to throw a router across the shop like having the depth change on you during a cut because the bit slips and you can't tighten it any further! I should also mention that each of these was made by Emerson in the late 70s - early 80s so they may have changed their manufacturing process since then. I sold a 3 1/4hp Craftsman (made by Ryobi) that had no issues and worked well. I currently use a 1/2" PC plunge and a Freud 2000 for most work, and I have an OLD Stanley 1/4" that just keeps goin'. 2 of the 3 were bought used but in good condition.

Bottom line: Nothing wrong with used but I would search for better made used routers like Bosch, PC, Milwaukee, Makita, etc.

Rick Potter
07-19-2013, 5:32 PM
King of cheap routers here. Please note I normally use the big PC in two router tables and a family of 690's that I use freehand ( most purchased used). Getting back to cheap routers, I will buy any small cheap router I can find. Yes they are hard to adjust, but when you leave the same round over, trim bit, or small ogee in it all the time, who cares? Yes, they are cheap, and only take 1/4" bits but that is all I want them for. It is so handy to just grab a small (emphasis on small) router and do the quick trim on something with an already set up bit (which cost more than the router in most cases).

I have a bunch of cheap B&D routers that are almost as small as trim routers, never paid more than $20. Bosch Colt (talk about hard to adjust) for $40. I even have an itsy bitsy Skil router that doesn't even have ball bearings, but it was FREE, and works fine. When they don't work anymore, they are disposable.

My advice, if you get some cheap used routers is look for the smallest one that will work for you. I have a 1/4" $20 Ryobi that I am getting rid of. It is too heavy and bulky for what it does.

I posted this before, but here is a pic of $105 worth of routers. The black B&D's are my favorite small ones. The Ryobi is the one I don't like.

Rick Potter
PS: 165 posting under 'router' on my local CL.

Edmund Burke
07-19-2013, 7:22 PM
I have owned about 6 old Craftsman routers, inherited or bought used. I tried to use them as you have in mind, only for certain tasks, light duty, etc. I have never been happy with any of them. Especially compared to my Bosch 1617 or 690 PC, they are under-powered and they slip and deflect as others have noted. Having gone the "route" you are contemplating, I'd, advise spending another $60-70 and gettting one more good 1/2" collet router to go with what you have.

johnny means
07-19-2013, 10:58 PM
I learned quickly that routers are one tool that don't lend themselves to cost cutting. My theory is that the forces and speeds that apply to routers require a pretty tight set of tolerances, heat resistance and durable components. I would rather have one really good fixed base router than 5 cheapos. How many almost finished doors does your collet have to slip on to negate any savings? 1 maybe 2?

Jim Neeley
07-20-2013, 12:39 AM
It depends on how you use them. I have 8 routers, 4 of which are dual-base hand-held units. I don't normally use the fixed bases in general use so have permanently attached fixed bases to them; one is a laser cross-hair, one is a Jasper jig for 1-7" circles, the third is a Jasper jig for 7-52" circles. They aren't used frequently but it's nice to have the bases pre-centered and, for the circle jigs, leave a bit in them.

Dan Hahr
07-20-2013, 1:19 AM
Cheap router only if its free. They're OK for outdoor, rough roundover work. Where there might be sand and staples, etc. For real work, don't waste your time. There are not many decent one's on Craigslist but Porter Cables are sometimes seen. Save your money and buy a new Dewalt, Bosch, Milwaulkee, etc.

There is no such thing as a used Craftsman handheld powertool that is worth $50.

Dan

Jim Matthews
07-20-2013, 6:48 AM
I suppose there's a good reason all the second hand routers are Craftsman, Ryobi or Hawk...

My family went through the same false economy as my Father purchased one clapped out chainsaw a year for six years.
Before another could end up in the collection, we pooled Christmas money and bought a new (fully warranteed) Stihl that
it took him nine years to "season" well enough to add to the pile of rusting saws.

Save your money.

Buy a Bosch.

scott spencer
07-20-2013, 7:50 AM
I wouldn't recommend buying a used "cheap" router....especially a Skil, B&D, Ryobi, or Ryobi-made Cman, etc. There are just too many little quirks and cheaply made components. Nothing wrong with an well made proven workhorse like a PC, DW, Makita, or B&D from the golden days, but even a good used router merits a good going over. If a great deal on a good used router doesn't come along, I'd look to a refurbed Hitachi M12VC for $89 shipped (http://bigskytool.com/Hitachi_M12VC_2-14_Peak_HP_Variable_Speed_Fixed_Base_Router_(Recon ditioned)___i310.aspx?source=Froogle&gclid=CML8wPvOvLgCFU2i4Aodd3gABw) from Big Sky Tools, or even the new Cman routers made by Chervon Tool.

Jeff Duncan
07-20-2013, 9:09 AM
I don't see a problem buying cheap routers especially when your planning on having them as dedicated setups. I've bought a handful of my routers at auctions and though I have several brands in the stable mostly I focus on buying used PC 690's. For one they're just a great workhorse.....simple, strong, and they last a good long time. Second reason is b/c if you have a bunch of the same, it's easier for swapping parts and bases, and it's really nice having all of them use the same wrench;)

good luck,
JeffD

Bryan Cramer
07-20-2013, 7:54 PM
Keep this in mind: do you want to hold a cheap/old tool spinning at 20000+rpm? I wouldn't risk it.

Rick Potter
07-20-2013, 8:01 PM
Bryan makes a good point about holding the tool. One reason I like the little B&D's is that they are not much bigger than a trim router and they have HANDLES. My pair of the much vaunted Bosch Colts are what scare me. I have caught myself several times holding on to the base very close to the bit. I have already made an oval base with handles for one, and won't use the other till I get one of the new plunge bases that have handles.

Each to his own. YMMV.

Rick P

Mike Schuch
07-21-2013, 5:00 PM
I hate CHEAP tools! I love an inexpensive bargain on a great tool though. I really shouldn't say this.... the old Stanley routers are GEMS! To me they are the perfect single purpose router if you match the purpose to the router. I have one old Stanley that permanently wears a 1/4" round over bit. Another with a 1/8" round over. And a third with a dove tail bit.

I also own a couple of Porter Cable 690's, a Porter cable 7800, and a nice Dewalt for general routing. I would rather use the 1/4" roundover bit in a Stanley router than any of my other routers. The Stanley is just the perfect size and ergonomically very convenient to use.

I would never own another Craftsman router. I gave the one I had away to a coworker that was kind of a jerk!

Keith Kelly
07-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Alrighty, I bought the routers, and worked some magic, and ended up with a good deal.

Paid $75 for:
* Older Craftsman 315 router
* Craftsman "Industrial" router table
* Metal tool stand (router table was mounted to this)
* Skil 1825 1/2" router, like new, with all accessories and plunge attachment, etc.

I cleaned up the Craftsman stuff (315, table, and stand) and sold it for $70, making this Skil 1825 only $5. Better yet, this Skil plunge router operates like a dream compared to the Skil Classic I've been used to. Wow, I'm in.....ignorant n00b router heaven here! (I know I'm not helping my reputation)

So, I think I'm content for awhile, especially since my father-in-law has a shop with a PC router I can use if I want to spoil myself rotten :)

david paul miller
07-22-2013, 11:20 PM
i have found routers that look like they were never used at pawn shops, dewalt, porter cable, bosch colt trim routers $20.-$25 each, 9, 11, and 12 amp same brands $35.00 each, just picked up 3 -3 1/4 hp porter cable new in box for $50.00 each, 2- 2 1/4 hp PC plunge ……. the list goes on and on, my point is you have to like to shop and BE in the right place at the right time .

fRED mCnEILL
07-23-2013, 12:13 AM
So what will happen when holding a cheap tool spinning at 20000 rpm?What would one be risking?

Tai Fu
07-23-2013, 1:45 AM
I bought a cheap Dewalt D26670 Laminate trimmer used... I am sure the router itself isn't cheap but I bought it used so I can use it with a binding jig I bought... it has been dedicated for that jig because it's quite difficult to remove the jig from the router and install it.

Keith Kelly
07-24-2013, 2:44 PM
Again, THANK YOU for the advice here.

I was passing by a pawn shop during my lunch break, and decided to drop in and see if they had any routers. :)

They had several, but the two notable ones were
1) an old Craftsman for $50
2) a Porter Cable 690LR for $50

I offered $40 for the 690, and they accepted! On my way out, I smirked at the Craftsman and chuckled inside, in a Tim Allen sort of way.

Chris Hachet
07-24-2013, 3:42 PM
I've recently been getting into woodworking, and I'm getting quite annoyed with the process of changing router bits. Goal: make the process a bit more natural.

The routers I have are:
* Good Hitachi, with a difficult bit changing mechanism (I have this mounted in a router table)
* Cheap Skil "Classic" plunge router

I'm seeing on Craigslist and eBay a bunch of Craftsmans that are selling for around $30-50. I'm going today to a coworker's house who's selling an old Craftsman router + old router table + old base for $50. Since I am content with the cheap Skil, I'm not too worried about getting 2 more cheapish used routers to add to my collection.

Advice? What should I be cautious of when buying used routers? Or, would you recommend going a completely different direction?

FWIW I ahve two older (1990's era) Craftsman routers that have been run half to death, and they work just fine....

Chris Hachet
07-24-2013, 3:44 PM
Another option for you Keith,
Factory recon PC for 125 bucs. I have had great luck with my PC's.

http://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-reconditioned-porter-cable-9690lrr-1-3-4-peak-hp-router/pcbr9690lrr,default,pd.html?start=15&cgid=porter-cable-routers-and-trimmers

Routers: the more the merrier

Jay

Wood werks supply was selling a bunch of these here in Columbus for $125 each new, was a heck of a deal I could not pass up....

Chris Hachet
07-24-2013, 3:45 PM
Routers come up on Craiglist pretty often around here, and sometimes they're in decent condition. Maybe the sale is an estate clearance or someone getting out of the business, or whatever. Personally, I'd look for a deal on a decent quality router. You don't have to buy a bunch all at once. Most of us wind up with a number of routers because, over time, we run into deals that are too good to pass up.

That said, I have an old, fairly inexpensive Ryobi trim router that I use a fair amount because I leave the same bit in it so it's ready to go. But trim routers are not stressed like full sized routers.

And finally, one more thing. Many old Craftsman routers were 1/4" shaft (only). You sure want a 1/2" shaft on a full sized router.

Mike

Which would be a great arguement for the PC midsized router. Works great with the PC 4212 Dovetail jig, although I cut Dovetails by hand once in awhile...

Chris Hachet
07-24-2013, 3:47 PM
I don't see a problem buying cheap routers especially when your planning on having them as dedicated setups. I've bought a handful of my routers at auctions and though I have several brands in the stable mostly I focus on buying used PC 690's. For one they're just a great workhorse.....simple, strong, and they last a good long time. Second reason is b/c if you have a bunch of the same, it's easier for swapping parts and bases, and it's really nice having all of them use the same wrench;)

good luck,
JeffD

I am mostly a hand tool guy, but I do have multiple PC 690's like you suggest....they are MUCH nicer than the Craftsman routers I also have.