PDA

View Full Version : Outfeed roller on G0690

Maurice Arney
07-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Hey people,

I was wondering if anyone has installed the Grizzly 37" outfeed rollers (Made by HTC - Grizzly part#G1317) on a G0690 cabinet saw. There is a paper template included, and the instructions say to "set the base line on the template at 3 1/2" below the surface of the table." A couple of questions... Did you use the template to drill the holes or did you use your own system? How critical is the 3 1/2" measurement given in the instructions for drilling? The reason I ask is because my G0690 cabinet has three metal grommets for accessory hooks and if I set the base line at 3 1/2" then the outfeed frame rests smack on top of these grommets. If I move the thing up 1/4" it will miss the grommets entirely but I don't want to risk having the outfeed rollers to high! The grommets look like they are riveted in place so I don't think I can take them out without butchering the cabinet. I thought about installing the roller frame over the top of them but then the frame wouldn't be flat against the back of the cabinet and it might make the system out of plumb.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe Leigh
07-21-2013, 5:34 PM
Maurice,

The top horizontal bracket has two elongated holes or slots. Setting this at 3-1/2" and drilling in the center of the slots allows you some vertical adjustment. This adjustment is critical in setting the front roller flush with the table top.
Could you set it at 3-1/4" and still be able to keep the front roller flush? Possible.

Make a level pencil line at 3-1/4" and clamp the bracket in place temporarily. Hang the roller off of the bracket and use a straightedge to see how close you are. If you are at or still below the table top you're in business.

Another way to "cheat" a bit is to keep the roller table in the "down" position. This position lowers the out feed table approx 3/8". That combined with the 3-14" level may allow the room you need to flush the front roller with the table top.

I don't use the "down" setting as I only use the out feed table for rip cuts. The "down" setting allows clearance for your miter gauge slot if you crosscut very wide boards or use a crosscut sled. The miter gauge bar needs to be above the front roller if it extends past the back end of the table.

Hope this helps.

Maurice Arney
07-21-2013, 6:25 PM
Thanks Joe, Ya I thought about assembling the table and holding it in position to see where it was in relation to the saw table surface but I can't think of a way to securely clamp such a heavy and awkward assembly to the back of the saw cabinet. It seems like I won't really see how this thing functions until it actually gets attached. I can drill out the existing grommets in my saw cabinet but I hate to drill three more holes unless I have to. Did you use the template to drill your holes? Or did you use the bracket itself and drill for the center of the elongated holes? I do plan to use a crosscut sled so I really need to make sure this thing is installed so it will not interfere.

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days now and one thought I had was this: The grommets only protrude about 1/32" or less from the back of the cabinet and they just "catch" the bottom edge the horizontal bracket (hence if I raise the bracket 1/4" I would miss them). I was thinking that I could set the bracket at 3 1/2" per the instructions with the bottom edge resting on the grommets, and shim the remainder of the bracket so that it rests flat. Does that sound reasonable? I hate paper templates and I never trust them. I'm thinking that using the bracket itself for a template would be better.

Joe Leigh
07-22-2013, 9:18 AM
I used the template to mark the holes. I don't see how shimming the bracket off of the cabinet will make any difference. If that's your only issue then you have no worries.

Enjoy.

Maurice Arney
07-22-2013, 9:43 AM
I used the template to mark the holes. I don't see how shimming the bracket off of the cabinet will make any difference. If that's your only issue then you have no worries.

Enjoy.

Understood... I think this might be the simplest solution. I'll post some pics and let you know how it works out. Thanks