PDA

View Full Version : Some questions for Waxilit users

Michio Nikaido
07-19-2013, 11:49 AM
After reading about the use of Waxilit as a glue release agent, I wandered down the road of getting some for myself. Being somewhat of an impulsive guy :), I went ahead and ordered the full blown 1.6 gal from http://www.weinigusa.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1406 as I'm in the glue up phase for a built in bookcase that I'm putting together.

The first thing that noticed, having received the shipment yesterday is that, unlike some of the images of the product I've seen, the product is a clear flowing liquid (Some of the images I've seen of the smaller cans from LV look more like a paste).

What I found was that in trying to paint this liquid into the inner corners (where I had sheets of Red Oak 3/4" plywood joining at the corners), the wood would readily soak up the liquid to the point where it was seeping underneath the corner and into the joint surfaces I intended to glue. I'm using biscuits to reinforce the joints, but it seems like having the Waxilit bleeding into the joint would definitely be a bad thing. I've even tried masking off the joint area with blue tape, but the capillary action of the wood seems to draw the Waxilit under the tape anyways.

So a few questions for those of you who've used either 'version' of the product:

1) Does this experience sound familiar and if so, how do you cope with this?
2) I haven't read the FWW article which promoted the whole idea of using Waxilit, but is there something in the article about how the author used it that I might be missing?

Oh, and I should mention that this is pretty much my first experience with gluing up a project with wood that I'm going to stain, though I try to do my homework by googling and watching various youtube videos and so forth. I realize that a full wall, built-in bookcase wall is probably not the best choice for someone who's ostensibly a beginner, but... I like challenges :)

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Matt Meiser
07-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Sounds like you found a lot of good reasons not to go for "bargain" liquid Waxilit. Like you said, the paste stuff is the right stuff for this use. The liquid is sold as a table lubricant. There was something in one of the magazines about Johnson's Workbench in Charlotte, MI selling the right stuff.

Mark W Pugh
07-19-2013, 2:16 PM
S There was something in one of the magazines about Johnson's Workbench in Charlotte, MI selling the right stuff.

Here's the thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?200993-Waxilit&highlight=waxlit

Chris Padilla
07-19-2013, 2:58 PM
Use paraffin wax that is used for canning. Works great and mineral spirits takes it right up.