PDA

View Full Version : My Woodcraft Magazine LAST ISSUE ALERT, I love it.....

Bill Huber
07-18-2013, 11:17 PM
I got my Woodcraft Magazine today and glued on the front cover is my Last Issue Alert...

For $14.95 I can get a year (6 issues), now it states right on the front that this is a 58% savings over $35.94 cover price. All I have to do is fill out the card and mail it in.....

But now if you go to the Woodcraft site you can get the magazine for one year for $9.99, I just love the way magazines do things, you would think they were cable TV.

Jim Neeley
07-19-2013, 2:19 AM
It *dices*, it *slices*, it makes *julienne* fries!!

But WAIT, there's MORE!!

Act now and you'll also get...

(As seen on TV)

Dan Hintz
07-19-2013, 6:46 AM
I'm a huge fan of the notices that say time is running out on my subscription... but if you look at the code, I still have over FOUR YEARS left.

Tim Boger
07-19-2013, 7:08 AM
I got my Woodcraft Magazine today and glued on the front cover is my Last Issue Alert...

For $14.95 I can get a year (6 issues), now it states right on the front that this is a 58% savings over $35.94 cover price. All I have to do is fill out the card and mail it in.....

But now if you go to the Woodcraft site you can get the magazine for one year for $9.99, I just love the way magazines do things, you would think they were cable TV.

Is it out of line to call them criminals? Clearly their advertising is intentionally deceptive.

It's interesting how certain business / profession types (car dealers, utility providers, magazine publishers, those that determine gas prices, politicians) have allowed their way of doing business to align with the unsavory reputation the public has labeled them with. Almost as though it's an acceptable game to play ....

Matt Day
07-19-2013, 7:32 AM
You pay for yours? Mine just seems to show up in my mailbox.

Jim Matthews
07-19-2013, 8:03 AM
Just fill out all subscription inquiry cards with "Dr." or "DDS" tagged to your name.

They'll fall over themselves sending you freebies.
The circulation numbers and subscription numbers aren't the same for setting advertising rates.

I always let my subscriptions lapse. The inevitable "we want you back" offer shows up in a few weeks.

Matt Meiser
07-19-2013, 8:43 AM
I subscribed for a year but I've never been comfortable with the concept of paying them for the privledge of being mailed a thinly-veiled Woodcraft advertisement every month. Same goes for Woodworker's Journal from Rockler.

Dan Hintz
07-19-2013, 9:50 AM
Jim,

My middle name begins with an 'R'. Somewhere along the way, Nissan combined that with my first initial, so everything I get from them is addressed to Dr. Hintz. Also lets me know who they sell my info to...

Eric DeSilva
07-19-2013, 9:56 AM
I'm a huge fan of the notices that say time is running out on my subscription... but if you look at the code, I still have over FOUR YEARS left.

I get invoices for magazine subscriptions all the time in my office telling me that the invoice should be immediately routed to accounting for payment or my subscription will lapse. Only I've never subscribed to any of these. Typical practice is sending one free issue, then one of these invoices--I think they count on secretaries opening mail and forwarding to accounting without realizing the scam. Really disreputable practice.

David Weaver
07-19-2013, 1:52 PM
At least they aren't sending you something as presumptuous as the insulting offers that taunton sends when you let FWW out. Especially notice 4 or 5 that lets you know that your skills are diminishing due to the lack of FWW.

Chris Padilla
07-19-2013, 2:25 PM
I'm finally letting ALL my subscriptions lapse...tired of reading the same old thing and tired of finding space to store all of them. I swear, they are like offcuts...I can't bear to throw them away (or recycle them)!!! HELP ME!!! :)

johnny means
07-20-2013, 10:07 AM

Yet another way to rip off the elderly:D

Adam Petersen
07-20-2013, 10:31 AM
I had the same thing with Handyman Magazine. I bought a magazine to read in the store and it had a subscription for $11 a year. I ordered it and made the mistake of using the bill me later option as my wife had the checkbook with her. (Stupid move, shoulda just waited for her to get home and mail it the next day). Anyways, they send me a bill for $20. I didn't subscribe at that price so I just ignored it. They've been sending me mail for about 2 months now. LOL, just ignoring them now.

Alan Lightstone
07-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I got a last issue warning from them this week too. E-mailed them - still have 1 year to go. Wastes my time, pisses me off. Accomplishes nothing positive.

Jerry Thompson
07-21-2013, 8:32 AM
I get 6 magazines I have never ordered. They are for the lower IQ reader and get pitched. All of the magazines I now get are for wood working. I will not renew them as all of the info is on the Web and I have enough saved over the years to look over for projects.

Ed Griner
07-22-2013, 6:56 AM
After thirty some years I no longer receive any magazines. Still a member at SAPFM.org, it seems the publishers have forgotten what made you want to subscribe in the first place! All they have to do is look at their history to see what's missing, not to mention price increases.

Bob Glenn
07-22-2013, 9:21 AM
I got a renewal notice for Popular Woodworking for three times the going price. As it turns out, it wasn't from P/W, but from a third party. Be careful out there!

John Piwaron
07-22-2013, 4:21 PM
Yet another way to rip off the elderly:D

Who's "elderly" around here?