PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever built your own couch???

Dennis Peacock
07-18-2013, 6:32 PM
Yea, that's right. I'm looking for info on building my own couch and love seat. Upholstered furniture is what I'm talking about. I'm looking for resources to teach me what I need to know about building the frame and then the LOML and I will do the upholstery on the pieces. Also, if you know of a good foam supplier for upholstered furniture, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Just trying to save money is all. I'm tired of junk furniture and I can build most stuff they sell in stores with both my hands tied behind my back and one eye closed. Pitiful stuff I've seen in many furniture stores. Salesman says....the frames on these are engineered wood....just look how sturdy this is...(flips it upside down and shows me the frame made from 3/4" pine plywood)...I stand there shaking my head in disgust.

So...anyone out there been through this before for themselves or others? Just trying to do my homework before I design and commit to this.

Chuck Wintle
07-18-2013, 6:56 PM
what style of couch? there are many to choose from. I would imagine an upholstered chair and then lengthen it 3 or 4 times as necessary.

Myk Rian
07-18-2013, 7:08 PM
Norm Abrams did a show on building a couch. It was pretty interesting.
Not sure if a video is available.

Dennis Peacock
07-19-2013, 12:40 AM
Chuck,
They style hasn't been decided on yet, but the LOML really like the Mission Style furniture. We've got a sofa and recliner that we bought 16 years ago and the cloth material is finally giving way to wear and tear as well as the seat foam is starting to show it's age.

We've looked at furniture and all the stuff we can afford is the cheap junky stuff that I could build better myself for probably less money. I don't know, I'm just doing some homework here and seeing what resources are available for me to learn from or study up on.

Sam Murdoch
07-19-2013, 9:09 AM
I recently built a couch but it is a platform type. Still waiting on the cushions that are being covered locally with fabric we purchased from Bosal Foam.
Bosal Foam, also an excellent source for foam http://bosalfoam.com.

Ed Aumiller
07-19-2013, 9:56 AM
If what you have lasted 16 years, either recover it yourself or take off the material and use how the frame was constructed as a basis to go by...
There is only a little bit of differences in the various styles and it is mostly superficial to make the upholstery fit...
Queen Anne Furniture by Norman Vandal has several chairs in it that would provide info on framing...

Jim Koepke
07-20-2013, 2:30 AM
They style hasn't been decided on yet, but the LOML really like the Mission Style furniture. We've got a sofa and recliner that we bought 16 years ago and the cloth material is finally giving way to wear and tear as well as the seat foam is starting to show it's age.

+1 on what Ed said about looking into having this reupholstered. It may cost a bit to have someone else do the work, so it might be something you could do yourself.

jtk

Vera D. Lindsey
07-20-2013, 12:51 PM
I have built one couch for myself before. It has a beautiful look. It is black. You said you want to save money, so you can make it simple. But make sure that it is eye catching.