PDA

View Full Version : Planer Scalloping On One Side...

Derek Arita
07-18-2013, 6:19 PM
I have a Minimax FS30 Smart Jointer/Planer. I adjusted my planer table so that it is parallel with the head. Now, I'm getting lots of scalloping on the adjusted side. What did I do wrong? How can I fix it?

Jeff Duncan
07-18-2013, 7:06 PM
I don't know a lot about adjusting planers but you may have to adjust your feed rollers and chipbreaker as well?

JeffD

Derek Arita
07-18-2013, 7:16 PM
Far as I know, feed rollers have tensioners and that's it.

peter gagliardi
07-18-2013, 8:53 PM
Scalloped cuts in a planer usually indicate the board is not being held down properly. Like Jeff said, check all upper rollers, before and after the cutterhead ,but also check that the pressure bar behind the cutterhead is in adjustment. If knives are set proper, and bearings good, there is nothing else, shy of a bent roller.

jack forsberg
07-18-2013, 9:25 PM
I would agree generally that pressure bars or roller are the cause of this finish in traditional machinery, but these Over Unders don't work that way. They are generally made with the knife projection always the same to keep the relationship to the roller and pressure bars constant . Most don't have adjustment .

What did you do to adjust the bed to the cutter head? If you shimmed the bearing block that would be bad.

have you check the bed roller on that side to eliminate that as the problem? I do not have this machine BTW
jack
English machines

Jim Matthews
07-19-2013, 7:45 AM
Not to be dense, but is the problem in jointing or planing?

How long are the boards in question?

Wood species?

Pictures would be nice...

If you're inducing a curve while planing, that indicates the knives are lower than the rollers
which allows the freshly thinned section to bend in the middle.

If it's jointing, this indicates the outfeed table is too low, relative to the cutter tangent.

Derek Arita
07-19-2013, 9:58 AM
Planing...2' and 4' doug fir, about 2"x4" size. Definite sinusoidal type repetitive pattern. The left side of the planed surface is perfect, while the right side is scalloped, with heavy snipe.

Erik Loza
07-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Just ran across this thread, Derek. How old is your FS30? The pressure springs for the outfeed roller may just be shot if it's an older machine. I've seen that happen. Have you replaced any parts recently?

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Derek Arita
07-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Just ran across this thread, Derek. How old is your FS30? The pressure springs for the outfeed roller may just be shot if it's an older machine. I've seen that happen. Have you replaced any parts recently?

Erik Loza
Minimax USA
Erik, thanks for the reply. My FS30 is about 8 years old. I have not replaced the springs, nor have I tried to adjust them. If that is the problem, do I just increase spring pressure on the effected side? If they are shot, can I still get replacements?

Erik Loza
07-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Erik, thanks for the reply. My FS30 is about 8 years old. I have not replaced the springs, nor have I tried to adjust them. If that is the problem, do I just increase spring pressure on the effected side? If they are shot, can I still get replacements?

Yes, I would increase the pressure on that side (dial-down the grey recessed block with the allen fitting) and see if you get an improvement. If that doesn't do it, I would just buy some fresh springs. They do wear out over the years. I can PM you the number for SCM parts if you want or show you how to order them on Parts Pronto.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Derek Arita
07-20-2013, 4:20 PM
Yes, I would increase the pressure on that side (dial-down the grey recessed block with the allen fitting) and see if you get an improvement. If that doesn't do it, I would just buy some fresh springs. They do wear out over the years. I can PM you the number for SCM parts if you want or show you how to order them on Parts Pronto.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA
Erik, thanks so much for your help. It worked! Well, pretty much. On thick boards 1/2" or more, I see no scalloping to speak of, but once the board gets down to 1/4", then the scalloping becomes more visible. Seems at that point, no matter what adjustments I made to the springs, the scalloping stayed. Think I'll get new springs. Is that normal or is that another indication of more adjustment?