PDA

View Full Version : Rip fence moves a bit - thoughts on how to address it

Larry Fox
07-18-2013, 4:52 PM
Last winter I acquired an older SCMI SI-12 slider from a fellow creeker and absolutely love it. However, it does have one little issue that I would like to sort out. The rip fence is one of those types that rides on a solid bar of just round-stock. The fence body just slips over it and to lock the fence in place you push down on the handle which pushes a round piece of steel against the bar. Nothing crazy - pretty standard stuff. The problem is that the fence moves along the bar sometimes when doing a rip cut. I think the little piece of steel that engages the bar must be worn or something. I am tempted to take it to a machine shop and have then gnurl (spelling?) the end to give it some "bite" but I am not sure if this will mar the bar over time making it hard to move the fence along its travel. It is not a huge deal as I just put a clamp on the bar to the right of the fence to arrest any travel but I would like to fix it if I could.

I have had saws with this type of fence / bar gizmo in the past and there were "teeth" on the underside which a gear in the fence body indexed to but not this one.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your time.

Erik Loza
07-18-2013, 4:59 PM
Larry, that sounds like just normal age and wear. The locking cam inside the cast iron body probably is worn out. You ought to be able to get a manual and an actual price on that piece from SCM Group Parts Pronto. I would not knurl that piece for exactly the reason you mentioned. You just need a fresh cam in there. Let me know if you need help with finding the Parts Pronto site.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Lee Schierer
07-19-2013, 3:28 AM
I would try adding a layer of UHMW tape to the shoe that grips the fence. The added thickness of the tape should give you enough grip to have the fence stay put. The UHMW won't score your tube when sliding the fence. Knurling might prove difficult or costly.

Larry Fox
07-19-2013, 8:02 AM
Thanks for the time guys - I will give the tape thing a try and if it doesn't work I will try and source a new part.

scott spencer
07-19-2013, 12:15 PM
You could try scuffing up the surface that clamps down on the bar.

johnny means
07-19-2013, 11:10 PM
Have you thoroughly, inspected the fence body? I ask because I had a SI-16W and seem to remember an adjustable set screw to adjust clamping force. It was hidden in the mechanism somewhere. Just a thought.

Oh, and when all else fails a strip of a Coke can makes a great shim. Double side it to the offending part and boom tight clamping again.